Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joan Mellen's FAUSTIAN BARGAINS: LYNDON JOHNSON AND MAC WALLACE IN THE ROBBER BARON CULTURE OF TEXAS
Joan Mellen's new book is out in a few weeks, and interviews and whatnot are starting to appear. She'll be on Black Op Radio in September.

FAUSTIAN BARGAINS at Amazon

Quote:Perhaps no president has a more ambiguous reputation than LBJ. A brilliant tactician, he maneuvered colleagues and turned bills into law better than anyone. But he was trailed by a legacy of underhanded dealings, from his "stolen" Senate election in 1948 to kickbacks he artfully concealed from deals engineered with Texas wheeler-dealer Billie Sol Estes and defense contractors like his longtime supporter Brown & Root. On the verge of investigation, Johnson was reprieved when he became president upon JFK's assassination. Among the remaining mysteries has been LBJ's relationship to Mac Wallace who, in 1951, shot a Texas man having an affair with LBJ's loose-cannon sister Josefa, also Wallace's lover. When arrested, Wallace cooly said "I work for Johnson…I need to get back to Washington." Charged with murder, he was overnight defended by LBJ's powerful lawyer John Cofer, and though convicted, amazingly received a suspended sentence. He then got high-security clearance from LBJ friend and defense contractor D.H. Byrd, which the Office of Naval Intelligence tried to revoke for 11 years without success.

Using crucial Life magazine and Naval Intelligence files and the unredacted FBI files on Mac Wallace, never before utilized by others, investigative writer Joan Mellen skillfully connects these two disparate Texas lives and lends stark credence to the dark side of Lyndon Johnson that has largely gone unsubstantiated.

Here's an interview with Joan from last month, about the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28siQJHg17k

And here's an earlier one I missed, with Joan talking to Webster Tarpley about the recent new edition of FAREWELL TO JUSTICE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ES9WK1bRFU

I'm curious to read the new one. I liked FAREWELL TO JUSTICE, but had a couple of issues with it. I haven't read THE GREAT GAME IN CUBA or OUR MAN IN HAITI.
First review.

http://www.thesleuthjournal.com/joan-mel...-bargains/

So the book isn't an LBJ-dunnit volume, but digs into a lot of the scandals and corruption surrounding Lyndon. Robert Morrow will surely have conflicting feelings about this one.
You have got to love history, especially history that's 50 years old and topics that have been covered before, this could be "leave no stone unturn" I suppose?

What excites me is finding new information, stuff that hasn't been covered, leading any author to provide new evidence, the kind of eveidence that has you in awe, things that make you go hmmmmm?

Here's the question, are you ready for it? Better question, could you handle it? I suppose it all depends on who's delivering the material? I mean if you like the person you're receiving the material from then that material becomes credible, however, if it were to come from say someone who's not so liked then he must be a liar right? Even if the two were to qoute the same passage while providing the same source surely one will out do the other.
That Sleuth article contains the following statement about the 1952 murder trial:

"Wallace was defended by LBJ lawyer Polk Shelton. "

I always heard and thought that Wallace was represented by Jon Cofer. Polk Shelton is still practicing law, I'd be happy to ask him, if there is any real doubt.

Edit: The Polk Shelton that I know graduated from law school and was licensed to practice in 1970. Maybe it's the current attorney's father.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
Joan Mellen is a "CIA dunnit" advocate if I recall correctly. It's a shame. I hope she has looked into the possibility of LBJ knowing Ruby in the late 40s.
“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.”
― Leo Tolstoy,
Quote:Joan Mellen is a "CIA dunnit" advocate if I recall correctly. It's a shame.?

How is it a shame? She is correct.
Drew, yeah that is what I thought, Cofer was the attorney.

If you can check on it, please do.
I didn't happen to bump into my friend today, but from local history gossips I'm hearing that there was a Polk Shelton in the 50's, probably my friend's father.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Cofer really was a colleague of Johnson.

But I never heard of this Shelton guy.
I heard today, from an attorney who's been around here for a long time, that the "elder" Polk Shelton is actually the uncle of the "younger" Polk Shelton, so that explains why there isn't a Jr. or anything. I also happened to review a 1950 case on appeal that mentions a Polk Shelton as the attorney of record. So maybe the elder Polk Shelton was second-chairing the case; or was "local counsel," if this Cofer guy wasn't from round these parts (it's always handy to have someone that knows the local court system on your team).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vietnam Declassified: Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon Jim DiEugenio 0 5,407 17-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  An interesting sidebar to President Johnson's Vietnam War Tom Bowden 5 9,156 17-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Richard Bartholomew's THE DEEP STATE IN THE HEART OF TEXAS Anthony Thorne 15 36,329 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  State of Texas vs Lee Harvey Oswald: Autopsy x rays Jim DiEugenio 40 43,097 07-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Cliff Varnell
  Vietnam Declassified: Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon Jim DiEugenio 4 8,940 11-06-2017, 08:46 PM
  Lyndon Johnson was the ultimate psychopath. Robert Morrow 21 20,600 17-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  New Book [coming soon] From Joan Mellen About LBJ et al. Peter Lemkin 5 7,145 13-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  WHO WAS LEE HARVEY OSWALD? - Mellen Peter Lemkin 4 8,672 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Nolan
  A New Conversation with Joan Mellen Alan Dale 7 5,013 07-11-2015, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Joan Mellen on her Investigation of Garrison Investigation Peter Lemkin 17 13,162 01-11-2015, 03:59 AM