Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chomsky denied entry to West Bank
Professor Noam Chomsky, an American linguist and left-wing activist, was denied entry into Israel and the West Bank on Sunday.
No reason was initially given for the decision, but the Interior Ministry later said immigration officials at the Allenby Bridge border crossing from Jordan had misunderstood Chomsky's intentions thinking initially he was also due to visit Israel.
Chomsky, who is on a speaking tour in the region, was scheduled to speak at Bir Zeit University in the West Bank on Monday.
Interior Ministry spokeswoman Sabine Haddad said officials were now trying to get clearance from the Israel Defense Forces, which controls access to the West Bank to allow Chomsky to enter that territory.
"We are trying to contact the military to clear things up and if they have no objection we see no reason why he should not be allowed in," said Hadad.
Chomsky said inspectors had stamped the words "denied entry" onto his passport when he tried to cross from Jordan over Allenby Bridge.
When he asked an Israeli inspector why he had not received permission, he was told that an explanation would be sent in writing to the American embassy. "They apparently didn't like the fact that I was due to lecture at a Palestinian university and not in Israel," Chomsky told Reuters by telephone from Amman.
Chomsky arrived at the Allenby Bridge at around 1:30 in the afternoon and was taken for questioning, before being released back to Amman at 4:30 P.M.
In a telephone interview with Channel 10, Chomsky said the interrogators had told him he had written things that the Israeli government did not like. "I suggested [the interrogator try to] find any government in the world that likes anything I say," he said.
Chomsky is a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and is considered among the foremost academics in the world. He identifies with the radical left and is often critical of both Israeli and American policies.
Chomsky said he last visited Israel and the West Bank in 1997 when he lectured at Ben-Gurion University and also at Bir Zeit. He said all his previous West Bank visits had been as a part of trips to Israel.
His Palestinian host, lawmaker Mustafa al-Barghouti called the decision "a fascist action, amounting to suppression of freedom of expression."
The Association for Civil Rights in Israel slammed the Interior Ministry for "using detention and deportation to prevent a man from expressing his opinion", calling it "characteristic of a totalitarian regime."
"A democratic country where freedom of expression is a guiding principle does not close in the face of criticism or ideas that are not comfortable and does not deny entry to guests only because it does not accept their opinions. Instead, it deals with these opinions through public discussion," said ACRI in a statement.
Kadima MK Otniel Schneller, on the other hand, praised the move.
"It's good that Israel did not allow one of its accusers to enter its territory," said Schneller. "I recommend [Chomsky] try one of the tunnels connecting Gaza and Egypt."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/noa...k-1.290701
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Chomsky wasn't denied entry into Israel--he was denied entry into the occupied West Bank. A misleading thread title if ever there was one.

Hass's article states Chomsky is often critical of both Israeli and American policies. I'd like to see where a self confessed Zionist like Chomsky has 'often criticised Israel'.

It smells like Haaretz is contriving to create the illusion that a large space exists between Chomsky and his repugnant commitment to Zionism.
You are right Mark, I'll change the title to reflect that. Just goes to show that all of the occupied territory is considered to be Israel by some though doesn't it?
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
An honest mistake on your part, Magda.
We live in an age of holographic states [holographic state is defined by Matthew Witt and Lance deHaven-Smith as“an emergent governmental praxis” [that] “manifests the capacity to render “realities” and policy prescriptions [to be] profoundly illusory – profoundly ‘holographic’”].
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"
Ed Jewett Wrote:We live in an age of holographic states [holographic state is defined by Matthew Witt and Lance deHaven-Smith as“an emergent governmental praxis” [that] “manifests the capacity to render “realities” and policy prescriptions [to be] profoundly illusory – profoundly ‘holographic’”].

And holographic dissidence!
"There are three sorts of conspiracy: by the people who complain, by the people who write, by the people who take action. There is nothing to fear from the first group, the two others are more dangerous; but the police have to be part of all three,"

Joseph Fouche
I'm not sure that any part of the story is "real": Chomsky the left gatekeeper for the 9/11 conspirators not being allowed to enter the West Bank nominally controlled by the Fatah party who LOST the Palestinian elections, the Kadima KM calling Youth Zionist leader and Israeli kibbutzer Chomsky an enemy of Israel, or even Chomsky being detained and interrogated for 3 hours on the Palestinian side of the bridge. At least future fake philosophers on the prowl will know that the gateway to the occupied West Bank is via occupied East Jerusalem. Take the bus along the wall to Ramallah.
Helen Reyes Wrote:I'm not sure that any part of the story is "real": Chomsky the left gatekeeper for the 9/11 conspirators not being allowed to enter the West Bank nominally controlled by the Fatah party who LOST the Palestinian elections, the Kadima KM calling Youth Zionist leader and Israeli kibbutzer Chomsky an enemy of Israel, or even Chomsky being detained and interrogated for 3 hours on the Palestinian side of the bridge. At least future fake philosophers on the prowl will know that the gateway to the occupied West Bank is via occupied East Jerusalem. Take the bus along the wall to Ramallah.

He will not touch the JFK conspiracy either, even going so far as to write a BOOK against conspiracy. Yes he is definately a "left wing gate-keeper"; his politics are so inconsistent that one has to wonder.......Smile I gave up on him years ago. Don't trust him at all. He speaks out of both sides of his ears that won't hear or eyes that won't see the TRUTH! Maybe his MIT job has/had a little to do with this strange behavior...just sayin'.

Dawn
Dawn Meredith Wrote:
Helen Reyes Wrote:I'm not sure that any part of the story is "real": Chomsky the left gatekeeper for the 9/11 conspirators not being allowed to enter the West Bank nominally controlled by the Fatah party who LOST the Palestinian elections, the Kadima KM calling Youth Zionist leader and Israeli kibbutzer Chomsky an enemy of Israel, or even Chomsky being detained and interrogated for 3 hours on the Palestinian side of the bridge. At least future fake philosophers on the prowl will know that the gateway to the occupied West Bank is via occupied East Jerusalem. Take the bus along the wall to Ramallah.

He will not touch the JFK conspiracy either, even going so far as to write a BOOK against conspiracy. Yes he is definately a "left wing gate-keeper"; his politics are so inconsistent that one has to wonder.......Smile I gave up on him years ago. Don't trust him at all. He speaks out of both sides of his ears that won't hear or eyes that won't see the TRUTH! Maybe his MIT job has/had a little to do with this strange behavior...just sayin'.

Dawn

I've heard two potential interviewers desribe how he goes crazy and starts making offensive non sequiturs in their email correspondence before he bags off and refuses to have anything to do with them. He also seems to consistently claim that potential or actual interviewers have violated some agreement they never made with him not to talk about things like 9/11, bin Laden and JFK. I think his function is to soothe the activist left by saying they're doing all they can to protest the wars, while keeping them away from the 9/11 truth people who point out both wars are based on the US shooting itself in the foot as a pretext.
Helen Reyes Wrote:I think his function is to soothe the activist left by saying they're doing all they can to protest the wars, while keeping them away from the 9/11 truth people who point out both wars are based on the US shooting itself in the foot as a pretext.

We should start from a position of honesty - and acknowledge the success of Chomsky and the other left-gatekeepers in keeping several generations of anti-war activists from conspiracy contamination.

Quote:“So far, I’m the only one I know of from the Anti-war Movement who’s into this. I’ve gotten some criticism, in fact, from some of my friends from the SDS. They wonder why I want to get involved. I tell them i want to get involved because I believe there was a coup d’etat in 1963 which has influenced our politics ever since. Since then, we’ve had a history of clandestine politics in the U.S. – and we’re fighting that, too,”

Carl Oglesby, as quoted by Robert Blair Kaiser, in “The JFK Assassination: Why Congress Should Reopen the Investigation,” Rolling Stone, 24 April 1975, p.18
"There are three sorts of conspiracy: by the people who complain, by the people who write, by the people who take action. There is nothing to fear from the first group, the two others are more dangerous; but the police have to be part of all three,"

Joseph Fouche

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mumia Abu Jamal Rushed to Emergency Care - Family Denied Access! Peter Lemkin 0 4,091 31-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  The Lord McAlpine of West Green Claimant - and - Sally Bercow Defendant - Judgementhttp://www.baili Magda Hassan 2 3,545 25-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Manson Denied Parole Albert Doyle 2 3,853 15-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Keith Millea