Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peace Movement in Israel
There is a very sane and quite large peace movement in Israel which is rarely shown by the MSM

Here are some links and quotes from members.

http://www.muzzlewatch.com/
http://www.refusersolidarity.net/
http://www.newprofile.org/default.asp?language=en

http://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/
Goldman is one of the "Shministim" -- high school seniors who refuse to enter the Israeli military process. She said today: "I'm proud to refuse to serve in an army that claims to be for humanity and defense but hurts people on a daily basis."
She recently wrote: "I first went to prison on September 23 and served 35 days. ... By the time you read this, many of my friends will be in prison too: in for three weeks, out for one, and then back in, over and over, until they are 21. The reason? We refuse to do military service for the Israeli army because of the occupation.
"I grew up with the army. My father was deputy head of Mossad and I saw my sister, who is eight years older than me, do her military service. As a young girl, I wanted to be a soldier. The military was such a part of my life that I never even questioned it."
She has been profiled in the British press. See: "Conscience of the Israeli Spymaster's Daughter" http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/45588,feat...s-daughter-
Also: "Father, forgive me, I will not fight for your Israel: Omer Goldman, daughter of a former Mossad chief, tells why she prefers jail to the military draft" http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/wo...925056.ece
Bacon is a board member of the group Jewish Voice for Peace, which, among other things, is launching a campaign to support the Shministim.

http://www.combatantsforpeace.org/

A former captain in the Israeli Air Force Reserves, in 2003 Shapira initiated the group of Israeli Air Force pilots who refused to participate in attack missions on Palestinian territories. He is a co-founder of Combatants for Peace.
He said today: "The big media is completely biased in not giving a true picture of the situation. People need to listen, watch and read alternative media sources. If you look at the number of people that were killed in the last few days the numbers for the Palestinians are enormous -- over 375 people in Gaza! This is an open air prison controlled from all sides. People in Gaza cannot go out, can't get the food, medicine, clean water, electricity they need and the Israeli Air Force is bombing them and killing innocent children in this crazy operation. The media are simply not telling this story.
"Hamas fires rockets on Israeli towns and yes, four Israelis have been killed and these rockets can kill me and my family. But Israel's retaliation and collective punishment will not bring us more security, just the opposite. The root cause of the conflict is the ongoing occupation and the refusal of the Israeli government to negotiate with Hamas and to agree to a complete withdrawal to 1967 borders. There's no real intention to solve the problem by my government unfortunately.
"I want to shout as loud as I can and ask everyone to join us in this struggle, Palestinians and Israelis who want to stop the bloodshed.
The massacre will not stop unless people from all over the world will wake up, join us and call for boycott, divestment and sanctions on the Israeli government. I am saying these things as a Jew and as an Israeli who wants to continue to live in this beautiful and sad piece of land."

Michael Weksler said today: "I was a tank commander in the Israeli military. I spent a month in jail because I refused to deploy to Gaza in 2002. I felt it was my duty to refuse 'clearly illegal' orders (an Israeli judicial term) and I think Israeli occupation practices are clearly illegal. It's noteworthy that the Israeli Supreme Court has continuously avoided hearing a refusenik case.
"The rocket attacks from Gaza are wrong, but it's ridiculous for Israel to pretend as if it is the victim in this vicious cycle. Israel has been violating international as well as Israeli law in how it is dealing with the Palestinians in the occupied territories. These people are in total legal limbo. They are not Israeli citizens, they don't have an independent state, and Israel is denying them their rights as occupied people under the Geneva Conventions. Olmert has been trying to cover this up recently by referring to the 'citizens of Gaza.' The people being bombed in Gaza are not citizens of anything and that's the crux of the problem: they are stateless people and that needs to end."

The price of resisting the occupation in Israel: "leftists aren't allowed..."

We've asked Rebecca Vilkomerson, a veteran JVP activist now living with her family in Israel, to give us regular updates about anti-occupation activism in Israel. Rebecca is also on staff with the Israeli environmental and social justice NGO Bustan, which works with Bedouin and Jewish communities in the Negev. Listen to what Rebecca has to say, from a place where "leftists aren't allowed."
[Image: beccapic.jpg]
Several weeks ago, while on a solidarity visit with Ta'ayush in the South Hebron hills region of the West Bank, we were stopped by a makeshift Israeli Army roadblock and told that we could not pass into a closed military zone. Having all traveled that road many times before with no problem, and watching settlers whiz by us, we asked to see the military order. Before producing it, the soldier said, "I am very happy for any Jew to visit the Land of Israel, but leftists aren't allowed."

This provoked a great deal of incredulous laughter among us, but we never did get through that day. And for me, it was one of the gentler reminders of the level of repression faced by Israeli activists specifically, the focus is on the Israeli side of the movement. Of course the repression faced by Israeli activists cannot compare to the repression experienced by Palestinian activists, and in fact much of the strategy of Israeli activists is to use their privileged status to rachet down the level of violence employed by Israel. But for the purposes of this column specifically, the focus is on the Israeli side of the movement.

There is a kind of conventional wisdom among anti-occupation activists, especially in the United States, that in Israel there is a wider and more honest range of viewpoints regarding the occupation. This perspective is part of the strategy to sell Israel as the "only democracy in the Middle East" to the rest of the world. To a certain extent it is true. Activist NGOs receive coverage in the press and ideas are discussed on the Op-Ed pages here that are not yet acceptable in the U.S. For example, the word "apartheid" which is still anathema in the United States, has become common enough to be unremarkable when found on a front page here in Israel.
On the other, less obvious hand, however, the level of repression against activists in Israel is multi-faceted, violent, and effective. There are so many examples that it is hard to choose only a few, but consider just a handful of examples from recent months:
New Profile, a feminist NGO that challenges the role of the military in society and counsels youth about alternatives to joining the Israeli Army, is currently under state threat to rescind their NGO status as well as a criminal investigation. Although at least half of eligible 18 year olds choose not to enter the army by exercising religious exemptions or for psychological or physical reasons, in addition to Palestinian citizens of Israel who are not eligible, the state is conspicuously threatening the legitimate activities of an NGO that pointedly looks at draft resistance as an option. This action neatly doubles or even triples down its impact, by simultaneously threatening the organization itself, the youth who are considering alternatives to Army service, and other NGOs who understand that they are being monitored and could face charges at any time.
More times than can be counted, settlers have physically attacked Israeli, Palestinian, and international activists who attempt to protect Palestinian land. At best, the Israeli Army/ police stand by and watch, at worst, they arrest the protesters "for their own protection." (for just one example check out this video by Machsom Watch)
The group Shovrim Shtika ("Breaking the Silence") had to bring a case to the Supreme Court when the Hebron Police stopped allowing the group to bring tours to Hebron to see what is really happening inside that city, because they couldn't guarantee the safety of the participants on the tours. Instead of the settlers being punished for their violent attacks, tours were forbidden for months, and have now started again in a much more limited manner. The settlers, aided by the Israeli security apparatus, are rewarded for their violence while journalists, diplomats, activists and the general public are punished.
In September, Zeev Sternhall, a respected Professor, Holocaust survivor, and member of Peace Now, was injured by a pipe bomb planted at his home (see Haaretz article), and his neighborhood was leafleted by flyers offering an award for killing members of Peace Now. As Sternhall himself noted, this development should not be a surprise, given the tolerance of violence by settlers by the Israeli Police, which has historical antecedents, including the murder of Peace Now activists Emil Grunzweig in 1983 and the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin in 1995. Although all the mainstream politicians condemned the attack, it was noted by many activists that lip service to the rule of law rings hollow given the impunity with which settlers can attack activists and Palestinians.
This list is in no way comprehensive. The Israeli government (whichever party may be in power) and its security apparatus use the settlers, the courts, the jails and violent methods of their own to place limits on the non-violent resistance movement in solidarity with Palestine. While trying to maintain an image of a democratic state, and using that image as one of its arguments for its exceptionality and need for support, it constantly strives to place limits on the bounds of acceptable legitimate dissent while trying to make the price of being part of the movement too high for activists to pay. It is truly a testament to the moral courage and dedication of Israeli activists that they continue to work as tenaciously as they do, but I fear that these tactics have contributed to keeping the movement smaller and further from the mainstream than it should be.
This strategy also has a price inside the Green Line, where violence has become a legitimate way of promoting policy arguments. For example, for several years now, Jerusalem's Gay Pride parade has been severely curtailed due to threats of right-wing violence, when police declare that marchers' safety cannot be guaranteed. Settlers have learned, both inside Israel and in the Occupied Territories, that rather than prosecuting open threats of violence and enforcing the rule of law, the government will accede to their demands.
It is hard to tease out cause and effect between the settlers and the government. Do the settlers enforce the will of the government, or is it the government that enforces the will of the settlers? By mutually reinforcing each other, the impact on the anti-occupation movement is that beyond just the need to heroically resist and relearn the childhood lessons that begin here in kindergarten about the Army, the occupation, and the Palestinians, activists must make a conscious decision to risk not just social marginalization, but their freedom and even their lives as well.
http://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/publi...1140.shtml
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syria: The New Suez Attack by France, UK and Israel also Fails David Guyatt 1 10,663 25-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Syria - Israel, The Elephant in the Room? David Guyatt 0 5,041 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  The Drums of war are beating: Hezbollah versus Israel Lauren Johnson 0 3,279 31-05-2016, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Israel defense minister quits Tracy Riddle 4 5,586 21-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  Israel and Saudia Arabia BFF Magda Hassan 8 9,538 10-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  The Saudi-Israel question David Guyatt 2 4,609 07-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Last Post: R.K. Locke
  Lone Wolf terrorists in Israel: Food for thought Drew Phipps 0 3,518 21-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  The Final Solution: Give Israel the Means to Destroy Iran Lauren Johnson 1 32,276 12-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Settlement to be imposed by globalists in Israel/Palestine Conflict? Lauren Johnson 8 6,143 18-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Israel On Killing Spree In Gaza Peter Lemkin 181 81,112 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle