Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vince Bugliosi: The Whole Story
Well, now that he has passed on, we can finally publish my combination biography/analysis of the life and career of Vincent Bugliosi.

http://www.ctka.net/2015/the_prosecutor_bugliosi.html

I am really proud of this essay, and wish it had not been so heavily edited by my publisher in Reclaiming Parkland.

There is no better biography of Bugliosi anywhere to be found. And I also think there is no better analysis of his legal career and his attempted foray into politics. You won't find as much good information on the man in one single place than you will here.

And, of course, there is my revisionist view of the Tate/LaBianca murders. How Bugliosi and Gentry got away with this fig leaf of a story for so long stunned me. As I write here, I had not read the book until I wrote the essay. As I was taking notes on Helter Skelter, about every 30 pages I would write down, WTF! When I was done, I wrote, "This sounds like a cover story to me." I then consulted some other books, and I was convinced that was the case. I am even more convinced of that today.

Anyway, read and enjoy and spread the word.
BTW, the reason this was edited out of Reclaiming Parkland was because my publisher was afraid Vince would sue.

I told them, you cannot sue for libel if something is true. Plus, if the guy is a celebrity, there is a three tier test one has to pass, which includes the author has to know something is false and therefore practice malice in writing it. Look at all those footnotes, how could he say I knew something was false. I mean I did my homework.

I think it hurt the sales of the book because this was one of the highlights of the volume, plus it was the first chapter. It would have created buzz.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:I told them, you cannot sue for libel if something is true.
In Australia this is not the case. It may be true but if it damages the plaintiff's reputation they can sue. We have appalling libel laws.

Any chance the publisher would do a revised all included edition of RP now the Bug is dead?
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Wow, that is kangaroo wild.

Never heard of such a thing.

So if Himmler was alive in Australia and you said he supervised the Final Solution, he could sue you and win?

As per doing a reup of RP, I doubt it. My original publisher still has the rights and its still in hardcover.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:Well, now that he has passed on, we can finally publish my combination biography/analysis of the life and career of Vincent Bugliosi.

http://www.ctka.net/2015/the_prosecutor_bugliosi.html

I am really proud of this essay, and wish it had not been so heavily edited by my publisher in Reclaiming Parkland.

There is no better biography of Bugliosi anywhere to be found. And I also think there is no better analysis of his legal career and his attempted foray into politics. You won't find as much good information on the man in one single place than you will here.

And, of course, there is my revisionist view of the Tate/LaBianca murders. How Bugliosi and Gentry got away with this fig leaf of a story for so long stunned me. As I write here, I had not read the book until I wrote the essay. As I was taking notes on Helter Skelter, about every 30 pages I would write down, WTF! When I was done, I wrote, "This sounds like a cover story to me." I then consulted some other books, and I was convinced that was the case. I am even more convinced of that today.

Anyway, read and enjoy and spread the word.

WOW!!! "In fact, unfortunately for client Leslie Van Houten, this had been Ronald Hughes' first criminal trial".

To agree to take on a capital murder trail as your very first trial is malpractice. Here in TX you have to be death qualified to be appointed to such a case. Erick and I have had murder cases, but never one like this and we both have lots of trial experience. I have never read Helter Skelter either.

Dawn
Van Houten continues to be persecuted by the same draconian conservative California justice system that keeps innocent victim Sirhan Sirhan in jail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Van_Houten
Lots to digest in your article Jim. Have you looked at the threads here dealing with the LA music scene and connections to milintel?
Many tangled webs.

The Bug was one arrogant ADA. The Beatles music as a motive was pure bullshit from the start. I wonder if he actually believed his own bs.
"In fact, unfortunately for client Leslie Van Houten, this had been Ronald Hughes' first criminal trial".

Isn't that incredible?

See, in Helter Skelter, Bugliosi and Gentry do everything they can to paper this over. That is, the fact that the defendants had incompetent counsel. During the trial, Bugliosi was a bit more honest about it. And I quoted that. But he was not so honest in his book.

See, when the defense offered no case at all, this left the door open for Bugliosi to use that
fantastic race war fantasy. And because it was uncontested by the defending counsel, it apparently worked. That, plus the success of the book, kept these people behind bars for life.

Which, I think is ridiculous.
The Bug was one arrogant ADA. The Beatles music as a motive was pure bullshit from the start. I wonder if he actually believed his own bs.

​Now, that Vince is dead, I really hope that this writer I met gets to finish his book on the case. He did literally years of research and accumulated scores of notebooks. I met with him after someone posted my work on Bugliosi and he told me that most of the stuff I was onto was correct.

There were four things that he said that were very interesting.

First, that Bugliosi told Melcher and Altobelli (the then owner of the house) he would keep them out of it. (BTW, Manson knew something that almost no one knew back then: Altobelli was gay. How did he know that?)

Second, there was more to the Parent killing than Vince let on to.

Third, the sacking of Aaron Stovitz was a strategy and it went up to Evelle Younger at least.

Fourth, when he went to interview Vince, they both tape recorded the interview. And then they both had back up
recorders. Vince went into his "Where are you going with this?" routine.

See, to question the Helter Skelter scenario is heresy since its become embedded in our culture. But the point is, its that part of the prosecution's case that made the penalty phase so harsh.
I would like to point out that as far as motives go, "staging copycat killings to free a friend" or "revenge for bad drug deals" would not be appreciably less likely to result in harsh penalty than the "Helter Skelter" motive. It undoubtedly would sell fewer newspapers.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vincent Bugliosi, Tom O'Neill, Tate/LaBianca and Quentin Tarantino Jim DiEugenio 19 9,452 10-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Last Post: William Weston
  Martin Hay on Bugliosi Jr. Jim DiEugenio 3 4,113 05-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Alan Ford
  New Story about Albert Osborne John Kowalski 14 21,527 02-08-2017, 01:41 AM
Last Post: Alan Ford
  Vince Palamara's New Book reviewed by Joe Green Jim DiEugenio 0 3,056 09-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  New FREE Book by Vince Salandria: False Mystery - Essays on the JFK Assassination Peter Lemkin 3 11,491 31-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  The lone-nutter conversion story Tracy Riddle 25 13,780 02-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  AOL story "Clint Hill clearly hears the third shot" taken off line within 1 hour. Drew Phipps 0 2,233 25-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Vincent Bugliosi Dies at 80 Alan Dale 20 12,532 20-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Vince Palamara reviews Five Presidents by Clint Hill Jim DiEugenio 2 3,676 20-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Opinions on Roscoe White story? Edwin Ortiz 73 35,145 19-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: David Josephs