Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Paines and the Minox Camera Charade
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:David:

Is that not puzzling?

How could they find the miniature Minox and miss the much larger Imperial Reflex camera?

How does one explain that?

It was not at the Paine's house? McCabe's story is simply an uncorroborated joke.... what do we know of McCabe?

CE2557

On March 14, 1964, Detectives JOHN P . ADAMCIK, RICHARD S .STOVALL, GUY P . ROSE, and HENRY M. MOORE of the Dallas Police Departmentadvised that they participated in a search of the PAINE residence, 2515 WestFifth Street, Irving, Texas, on November 22 and 23, 1963.

All four Of these individuals were exhibited a Federal Bureauof Investigation Laboratory Photograph No . D-146 of the Imperial Reflex cameraobtained from ROBERT LEE OSWALD on February 24, 1964. None of these officerscould recall ever having seen this camera and did not recall seeing it during a search of the garage at the PAINE residence . They allstated that if it had been discovered during the search, they would havebrought it in.

On March 23, 1964, Detectives STOVALL, ROSE and MOORE alladvised that during the search o£ the PAINE residence they recalled that therewere several boxes in the garage at the PAINE residence and that all boxes weresearched by one of the officers participating in the search . Each of themstated they could not specifically state which boxes they searched, butall stated they definitely did not see the Imperial Reflex camera pictured inFederal Bureau of Investigation Laboratory Photograph No . D-146, or any othercamera in the PAINE garage .

On March 24, 1964, Detective ADAMCIK also stated that therewere several boxes in the garage at the PAINE residence and that all boxes weresearched by either himself or one the of other officers . He could notspecifically state which boxes he searched, but stated he definitely did notsee the Imperial Reflex camera pictured in Federal Bureau of Investigation LaboratoryPhotograph No . D-146, or any other camera in the garage .
Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.....
R. Hunter
LOL

I don't buy it.

But I don't have any logical explanation either.
I'm sorry Jim - I don't get what you mean...

The 4 men responsible for all this claim the camera was not there. The one wildcard from Irving claims to have seen it but did not take it.
Yet how could he have seen it ALONE when all these men were in the same places together.

Personally I don't believe a single thing related to that garage starting with the Thursday night's "light left on" story...
The rifle was never in that garage, that camera was not there either.

And if you really look they claim that a mountain of things were in that blue suitcase, including "Misc photographs and papers" which was supposedly the BYPhotos.

it all just stinks
R. Hunter
I don't believe it could have been there and they all missed it.

But I don't know what happened to prevent them from gathering it.
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet in this thread, but some researcher long ago noted that the serial number of the Minox was one that was NOT available to the public [at that time, almost NO Minox could be sold publicly - they were for spy and undercover work, for the most part]. Minox company had certain serial numbers that could not be sold publicly, and the one found in the Paine's was one of those numbers. Not surprising as the Paines and Oswald were all intelligence assets.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Peter Lemkin Wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned yet in this thread, but some researcher long ago noted that the serial number of the Minox was one that was NOT available to the public [at that time, almost NO Minox could be sold publicly - they were for spy and undercover work, for the most part]. Minox company had certain serial numbers that could not be sold publicly, and the one found in the Paine's was one of those numbers. Not surprising as the Paines and Oswald were all intelligence assets.

Peter, apparently, the Paine's Minox III was stated to have a serial number 27253. Unfortunately, for the FBI, that number belonged to a Minox II,

Minox III numbers went from 31275/58499.

So we have a Minox III with a Minox II serial number. Some trick.

Move along nothing to see here.
Ray Mitcham Wrote:
Peter Lemkin Wrote:I don't know if it has been mentioned yet in this thread, but some researcher long ago noted that the serial number of the Minox was one that was NOT available to the public [at that time, almost NO Minox could be sold publicly - they were for spy and undercover work, for the most part]. Minox company had certain serial numbers that could not be sold publicly, and the one found in the Paine's was one of those numbers. Not surprising as the Paines and Oswald were all intelligence assets.

Peter, apparently, the Paine's Minox III was stated to have a serial number 27253. Unfortunately, for the FBI, that number belonged to a Minox II,

Minox III numbers went from 31275/58499.

So we have a Minox III with a Minox II serial number. Some trick.

Move along nothing to see here.

Another interesting thing about the Minox Model A, III, now in the archives, is that the reported serial number for this camera, "27253" is not even close to the range of those that included color finishes (which, according to the Minox Historical Society, "began production at about serial number 58500"). The photograph of the archived Minox III (posted earlier in this thread) shows a Minox III with a gold finish. Here's a description of the Model IIIs from the Minox Historical Society:

THE MODEL IIIS

With the development of portable, affordable flash units, a slight redesign was in order for the Minox camera. For the first time a PC flash nipple was added and synchronized with the shutter. The Model IIIs began production at about serial number 58500 in 1954.

Due to the large numbers produced, some unique variants began to show up. The IIIs was [sic] the first Minox to experiment with colored finishes. The black "private eye" and gold "luxury" cameras were produced for retail channels, while the more rare pink, purple, blue and other colors were produced experimentally. There is also a silver and black variant known as the "panda" which shows up occasionally. These are (for the most part) cameras manufactured as the final test for a new employees training. Due to their sentimental significance, they are rarely on the open market.

Interestingly, some of the gold Minox A series cameras are actually reclaimed shells removed from trophies awarded for photography contests run in the 50's and 60's. Minox Labs in New York had these trophies created with the custom camera shell screwed into a ring by both ends, and mounted at the top of a base. These shells can be distinguished by holes on either end where the screws penetrated the skin. (emphasis mine)

Just a wild thought here...perhaps these camera shells were sealed shut when they were installed on trophies, which likely means they were never assigned serial numbers as they weren't really cameras...just camera shells. I wonder if it is possible that the camera in the archives is inoperable and sealed shut, because maybe it's not really a camera but a camera shell that was removed from a trophy?
I am glad this was not locked.

Because in reply to the above, according to John Armstrong, the Minox at the archives is sealed.

But further, isn't it odd that there are two Minoxes there in the first place.

According to Hoover's scheme, there should only be one.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:I am glad this was not locked.

Because in reply to the above, according to John Armstrong, the Minox at the archives is sealed.

Not only sealed Jim ut significantly heavier than a normal Minox.

John told me he thought it felt like the camera was filled with cement.

As for "odd"... in this case how can we tell odd from CYA-SOP?

:Read:
R. Hunter
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:I am glad this was not locked.

Wait now, when you say, "...there are two Minoxes there...," are you saying there are two Minox cameras in the archives? I thought there was only one -- the one supposedly belonging to Michael Paine that was retrieved from Ruth Paine on 1/31/64, from her Irving, TX address and having the reported serial number 27259. Isn't the attached photo an image of the only camera now in the archives? There are several confusing issues going on here for me, but that's not particularly surprising.

::doh::

1) The reported serial number for Michael Paine's camera does not fall within the range of a Minox III camera, but of a Minox II camera instead; 2) John Armstrong reports that the archived camera is sealed shut and cannot be opened, so its serial number was not or is not retrievable; 3) Where is the Minox II camera that would have had the serial number reported? 4) The Minox III camera in the archives cannot be the same one confiscated from Oswald's sea bag because it does not have both Detectives Rose and Stovall's initials scratched on the bottom, unless they were supposed to have done this, failed to do so, and then lied about having done so. 5) Did anyone ask Michael Paine why he purchased a subminiature camera primarily used for espionage? What was his specific reasons for owning it and where did he purchase the camera? I mean, if the man is still alive, has he never been asked why he specifically needed a Minox subminiature spy camera? It doesn't sound plausible that anyone would wake up one morning and decide they needed an expensive, hard to find, tiny camera for family snap shots.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=7894&stc=1]

Attached Files
.jpg   Minox III.jpg (Size: 124.73 KB / Downloads: 11)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Minox Camera Jim DiEugenio 2 6,719 06-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alan Ford
  Bill Simpich New Article: (Part 11: The Paines Carry the Weight) Alan Dale 2 7,175 22-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Paines all over... Steve Duffy 11 6,914 18-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Steve Duffy
  United Fruit's Banana Wars: Banister, Preston, Draper, E.H. Hunt, Dulles, Paines, Forbes, Cabots etc John Bevilaqua 3 10,547 26-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Last Post: John Bevilaqua