Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Seven Days in May" - the movie - Is being shown on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM-TV) in one hour
I just noticed this, in case any night birds would like to see it. It will be shown at 1:15 AM Central Standard Time or 2:15 AM EST. Please check your TV listings in other time zones.

For younger readers, this movie is based on a novel by the same name. It is about a Coup d'Etat in the US by renegade military officers.
President Kennedy bought many copies of the book and distributed the copies to his military generals and Chiefs of Staff. He was concerned about the possibility of such an event and wanted his military officers to be aware of such possible treasonous activity.

Adele
In Janney's [excellent] book Mary's Mosaic he interviews the daughter of one of the Secret Government's executioners - who told his daughter 'if anything ever happens to me, watch the film Executive Action, and you'll know why I died and why I couldn't tell you about my work....'

Executive Action is not so grand by today's standards...but at the time it was made was leading edge as a film....
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Hi,

My first time posting (unless I'm growing massively forgetful), so greetings.

Seven Days in May and Executive Action are two films I've rated highly since I saw them, but struggled to find other films that come close to them. Perhaps Network, or 3 Days of the Condor, though they lack the kind of dispassionate aspect that makes Executive Action feel so no-frills in its implications. I Comme Icare was another interesting take on the events in Dallas, if perhaps rather less to the point, and Wag The Dog seemed to be hinting in the right direction.

I hope it wouldn't be too forward in a first post to ask if anyone had any suggestions of similarly valuable films, or personal favourites?

Namaste
Ah John Frankenheimer's 7 Days in May!
Screenplay by Rod Serling one of the better TV writers IMHO.
Lancaster and Douglas and March, all simply outstanding in this film.
Don't leave out the lovely Ms. Ava Gardner for notice.

I bought a Lancaster Collection from TCM. turner classic movies
It may be available from Amazon.
It has 2 big winners and 2 films I could care less about.
Widescreen DvDs of this film and Executive Action.
This disc (EA) has an interesting documentary on it.
Both these fine films have aged well.

Executive Action first I saw in a theater and I wish I had saved the handout that was given with the tickets.
Oliver Stone should have followed suit. IMHO.
He and Zach Sklar did document their screenplay with a good book though.
Best Regards Don and again welcome.
Read not to contradict and confute;
nor to believe and take for granted;
nor to find talk and discourse;
but to weigh and consider.
FRANCIS BACON
Hi Don,

I know some people like to put "The Parallax View" in the same catagory as those others,although not JFK related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Parallax_View

And also "The day of the Jackal".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Jackal
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
And don't forget The Package -- for my money, the best JFK assassination drama every, even though it never directly refers to that event.
Parallax View another great film to be sure.
It was so expensive to buy I did get a DL of it. I can play it on the PC.
It cost only 1/4 the price of the DvD.

The Day of The Jackal I got for under 10 dollars.
The Bruce Willis copy-cat film titled "the Jackal" is only a pale redux
with better effects but not the quality of the original.

Many years ago one of the better classes I ever sat thru was a film class for an easy "A", I thought
and get to see some films for "free".

This class changed how I watch and think about films and media communications. Worth every minute.

I definitely should have included the titles Keith discussed. They are in the same category to be sure.
FRANCIS BACON
Thankyou, everyone!

Indeed Day of the Jackal is an excellent example, and I can't believe I forgot about The Parallax View (along with All The President's Men, and to a lesser extent Klute). I have yet to see The Package, but it is now very definitely on the list.

Another two that occurred to me were the Costa-Gavras film Z and Peter Watkins' Punishment Park, although the latter is again more hypothetical.

One final example that I found brought to mind the kind of trauma-based mind control that Walter Bowart discussed -though perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly- is the film Dogtooth by Giorgios Lanthimos, if anyone had any thoughts on that I'd be glad to have a second opinion.

Thankyou again to all,

Namaste
Costa-Gavras film Z one of the very best.

The Package is worth the time for sure. Not to be missed.

I endorse both of these highly. For what its worth.
FRANCIS BACON
Charles Drago Wrote:And don't forget The Package -- for my money, the best JFK assassination drama every, even though it never directly refers to that event.

My take on THE PACKAGE, although JMO, is a very strong hint at how certain events can and do happen, that otherwise make very little sense without careful study. Tommy Lee Jones, when he wants to be, is a very convincing story actor. But, like I say, just my opinion.

Larry
StudentofAssassinationResearch

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JFK Act Shown Little to NO Respect, nor NARA/President following its legal mandate Peter Lemkin 3 12,089 07-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Bill Turner on Garrison KPFA Jim DiEugenio 2 7,765 10-01-2018, 06:12 AM
  Turner on Garrison Files on JFK Peter Lemkin 0 6,425 30-10-2017, 05:37 PM
  "Eyeball to Eyeball: JFK vs. the Joint Chiefs in THIRTEEN DAYS" Joseph McBride 0 3,334 25-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride
  This post reminds me of that movie; "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Scott Kaiser 3 3,328 03-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  AOL story "Clint Hill clearly hears the third shot" taken off line within 1 hour. Drew Phipps 0 2,217 25-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Castro Figured out the JFK Assassiantion in Five Days Jim DiEugenio 6 5,517 24-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Phil Dagosto
  William Turner: RIP Jim DiEugenio 5 4,763 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  The 2015 Hollywood mediation of Executive Action (1973) in the new movie Trumbo Nathaniel Heidenheimer 2 3,475 08-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Nathaniel Heidenheimer
  Last Days in Vietnam Jim DiEugenio 7 5,413 15-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle