Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Paines and the Minox Camera Charade
Albert Doyle Wrote:In this article Steve Margolis says the camera is visible in Curry's photo (I don't know what he's looking at): http://stevemargolis.com/blog/2012/11/25...63-part-2/

In the photo provided in Det. Curry's book, there doesn't appear to be a camera in the camera case, even though the long chain that attaches to the camera is shown. I'm wondering if the camera case is sitting on top of the camera in the photo. That doesn't appear to be what's pictured, but I guess it could be possible. What doesn't make sense to me is, why would Gus Rose claim to have found a Minox camera if he hadn't seen it, and why would he mention that it had film in it if he was supposedly looking at a light meter and not a camera. Not only that, but why would he also state that he and Det. Stovall scratched their initials somewhere on the base of the camera if they hadn't done this? What does he gain by lying about this or being adamant that he couldn't have been making any mistake about what he found? Even if the Minox III that was at some point in the DPD archives was sealed shut (conveniently?) so the SN could not be seen, the two Det.'s initials should still be on the base of that camera if this is supposedly the same camera seen by Det.'s Rose and Stovall. It is also very strange that the FBI came up with SN27259 for the Minox Model A, III camera they obtained from Michael Paine, because according to the Minox Historical Society (see: http://www.minox.org/minoxencyclopedia/a/ModelA.html ), Minox Model A, III SNs started somewhere around SN31275, and SN27259 would place it in the range of the Minox Model A, II. Was the FBI trying to substitute Michael Paine's Minox Model A, III for Oswald's Minox Model A, II? Sounds like they used the serial number from Oswald's camera and claimed it was the S/N for Michael Paine's Minox III, and maybe for the simple reason they couldn't open Michael's camera to read the serial number and didn't expect anyone to pay that much attention to the serial number?

I thought I had read somewhere that Michael Paine had his Minox camera returned to him by the FBI and then he later claimed that someone stole it from him. Can anyone corroborate that story? If the Minox III camera was stolen, what camera did John Armstrong see to be able to report it was sealed shut like it was filled with cement? I hope I'm not muddying the waters with a bunch of hogwash disinfo that's floating around about this already confusing camera shell game fiasco, but the Probe article doesn't mention where the Minox III camera is now, and maybe because it hadn't been returned to Michael Paine until after the article was published? Can someone provide an update on this stuff or shed some verifiable light on this?

Messages In This Thread
The Paines and the Minox Camera Charade - by Deborra Ann Low - 15-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Minox Camera Jim DiEugenio 2 6,719 06-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alan Ford
  Bill Simpich New Article: (Part 11: The Paines Carry the Weight) Alan Dale 2 7,175 22-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Paines all over... Steve Duffy 11 6,910 18-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Steve Duffy
  United Fruit's Banana Wars: Banister, Preston, Draper, E.H. Hunt, Dulles, Paines, Forbes, Cabots etc John Bevilaqua 3 10,547 26-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Last Post: John Bevilaqua