Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judyth Vary Baker: Living in Exile
JUDYTH RESPONDS TO BARB JUNKKARINEN AND TO GARY MACK

NOTE: This is a nice example of the failure to adhere to the principle of charity, where, within the realm
of the reasonable, you impose interpretations on statements persons make that maximize their truth, not
distort their meaning. Here are some classic examples involving the television coverage of JFK in Dallas.
Appealing to Gary Mack, like appearances by John Simkin, smacks of desperation. If Judyth Vary Baker
really were a flake, why in the world would there be so much time and effort devoted to discrediting her?

JUDYTH REPLIES

A television set perched over our heads showed the news, sports and
weather beginning at noon. I saw the news about JFK arriving in Dallas,
trying to maintain outward calm. All the TV programs were then in black
and white, but I could imagine that the roses Jackie Kennedy was
given probably complemented her dress.

The problem with this is that there was no hour long noon news show in Gainesville according to any of the TV stations, as well as someone I was referred to at the university, I contacted a few years ago. Even if there was even a half hour news show at noon in Gainesville, Florida ... that would only be 11am in Dallas ... and the Kennedy's arrived at 11:40am Dallas time. That would be 12:40pm in Gainesville. Not in time for any 1/2 hour noon news show.

==WHEN I SAID I SAW THE NEWS ABOUT KENNEDY ARRIVING IN DALLAS, IT WAS THE COVERAGE OF HIS ARRIVAL IN DALLAS-FORT WORTH. JACKIE WAS GIVEN FLOWERS AT THAT TIME. THEY HAD THE TV ON FOR THE NEWS, AS I REPORTED, BUT -- UNUSUAL -- THE TV SET WAS KEPT ON. A VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT WAS BEING HELD OUTSIDE, AND THE LUNCH HOUR WAS EXTENDED THAT FRIDAY.

PCR CLOSED DOWN ONLY ON THE 4TH OF JULY AND CHRISTMAS. BUT THERE WOULD BE BREAKS. THIS FRIDAY, THE 22ND, THE VOLLEYBALL GAME WAS PLAYING AND THOSE NOT INTERESTED IN THE GAME CAME INTO OUR LAB, WHICH HAD A TV SET MOUNTED ABOVE OUR HEADS.

THEY PULLED UP STOOLS AND WATCHED THE NEWS.

FOR SOME REASON -- PERHAPS BECAUSE THE VOLLEYBALL GAME WAS PLAYING -- BUT I WAS VERY WORRIED ABOUT WHAT COULD HAPPEN IN DALLAS AND VIEWED EVERYTHING WITH SUSPICION. OTHERS REMAINED IN THE LAB AND SOME OF THEM BEGAN DISCUSSING JFK. THEY DISCUSSED HIM WITH HATRED.

THE TV WAS STILL ON AT 1:30, AND THE VOLLEYBALL GAME HAD BEEN GOING ON NEARLY TWO HOURS BY THEN. I WAS WORKING, BUT EVERYBODY WAS STILL TALKING AND WATCHING TV -- VERY LITLE WORK BEING DONE. I WAS SUSPICIOUS AND NEVER FORGOT THAT, BECAUSE IT WAS SO UNUSUAL.

WHEN THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF JFK BEING SHOT WAS MADE, THESE PEOPLE CHEERED AND WHISTLED AND STAYED GLUED TO THE SET, MAKE OF IT WHAT YOU WILL -- A RADIO HAD ALSO BEEN TURNED ON TO NEWS PROGRAMS, SOMEONE HAD BROUGHT IT IN, TOO.

I ALWAYS BELIEVED SOMEBODY THERE KNEW SOMETHING, BUT PERHAPS I WAS SIMPLY OVER-SENSITIVE.

WATCHING THE NEWS OVER AND OVER, THE SCENES OF THE ARRIVAL IN DALLAS WERE IMPRINTED IN MY MEMORY. AS IN EVERYBODY ELSE'S.

THE CONDUCT OF THE SCIENTISTS AND TECHNICIANS THERE, THEIR RESPONSE WHEN HEARING KENNEDY WAS SHOT, WILL REMAIN WITH ME AS A HORRIBLE MEMORY FOREVER.

I have done the best I could to reconstruct that day. At the very least, everybody remembers where they were on that day and what was going on...I was alert, however, much earlier..These people also want me to be arrested for not 'warning' --when Lee had told me he was part of an abort team that was secretly being assembled to try to save JFK.

What would have happened if the killers knew about the abort team? Would the members have also been shot?

I had the choice to tell every detail I could possible recall or 'play it safe' and say what everybody knew. I have always done my very best to provide as many details as I could recall.==

THE GAYLORD FAMILY, OWNERS OF WTVT IN TAMPA EXPANDED AND OBTAINED KTVT IN DALLAS IN 1962.

http://www.big13.net/crawfordrice.htm

THEY HAD THE 11:00 NEWS, 12:00 NEWS, 6:00 NEWS AND 10:00 NEWS.

WESH TV OUT OF ORLANDO COVERED ALMOST ALL OF FLORIDA. Had first hour-long local news in the market starting in September 1963.

WFTV HAD 12:00 AND 6:00 NEWS....

In a message dated 9/7/2006 4:03:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mshack@concentric.net writes:

From the website of the Gainesville TV station, WKMG:

http://www.local6.com/station/71239/detail.html

"In 1961 Channel 6 started the first full-time news department in Central Florida. Its newscasts expanded from 15 minutes to 25 minutes."

"Most of Channel 6's programming came from CBS. However, because there were so few television stations at the time, WDBO also carried programming from ABC, NBC, and Dumont, the original third network. Soap operas have long been a television staple. It was no different then. Fans tuned in to "Search for Tomorrow", "Guiding Light" and "As The World Turns"."

The latter was the program on the air when CBS cut in with its first bulletin about the assassination. The station broadcast news in black and white until 1969.

The station's history doesn't address the question of when they began their noon newscasts, just that they have a half-hour noon news now.

The other possibility, received in the area, was the Tampa station, WTVT. It converted to a half-hour newscast in 1958. Because CBS offered a 15 min. news program, WTVT expanded its news to 45 min. to fill an hour time block.

The interview from which this information came didn't give the date when this happened, but said they dumped a 15 minute Eddie Fisher program. The Eddie Fisher program began in 1957 and was canceled in 1959.

Another article confirms that the hour-long news began in November 1958, called "Pulse."

At noon, there was a half-hour news program called "Pulse Midday." (http://www.big13.net/news/wtvt_news_3.htm)

In September 1963, "Pulse" expanded to 90 minutes. The news was black and white until 1966. (http://www.big13.net/news/wtvt_news_5.htm) It was a CBS affiliate.

Four days earlier it had covered JFK's visit (without Jackie) to Tampa.

"With a 5,000 square mile coverage area, Smith and his news team could always be counted on to be first and best."

So, WTVT in Tampa had at least a half hour noon news program in November 1963.

Overhead: Standard model televisions were sometimes mounted on shelves with sturdy brackets to carry their weight.

As for flowers, the Fort Worth arrival footage on Nov. 21 shows Jackie with flowers, as indicated by this still from a newsreel footage house, Buyout.com

Martin

[quote name='Barb Junkkarinen' post='190503' date='Apr 23 2010, 12:58 AM']
[quote name='Jack White' post='190385' date='Apr 22 2010, 06:41 AM']
Barb J. wrote:

[color="#000080"]A major problem with this is that the Kennedy's arrival at Love Field was only televised live
on Dallas/Ft. Worth TV stations.[/color]

As a DFW resident, I believe that this statement is not true. Gary Mack would know. A
live hookup in those days would require a special microwave signal hookup and large
bulky studio cameras, which were few back then. The local stations shot the arrival on FILM,
not live video feed. Ask Gary.

The only LIVE feed that weekend, as I recall, was the abortive LHO jail transfer and shooting.

Jack[/quote]

Hi Jack,

I checked with Gary ... and yes, the arrival was broadcast live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Here is Gary's response in full:

Hi Barb,

In response to your question about TV coverage of JFK’s Dallas Love Field arrival, I checked a couple newspapers, but not all of them. From that “refresher” course and information I’ve picked up over the years, here is what I know:

1. WFAA-TV, the ABC affiliate here, did the pool coverage for themselves and any other local TV station that wanted to carry it. Their remote truck can be seen 45 seconds into this home movie recently acquired by The Sixth Floor Museum: http://jfk.org/go/collections/ward-warren-film Atop the truck is one of the two cameras they used and the person describing the events was the late WFAA news director, Bob Walker.

2. The 11-22-63 Dallas Morning News, which was co-owned with WFAA, listed the Kennedy arrival in its TV schedule for the day. Live coverage was to begin at 11:30am.

3. While I cannot prove it from the listings I read, it is my understanding that the other three local commercial stations – KRLD, WBAP and KTVT – decided after the press deadline to show the arrival live.

4. I have a vague memory that one or two other Texas TV stations, perhaps one in Tyler, planned to carry at least one of Kennedy’s speeches that day, though it is highly doubtful an out of town station would also include the Dallas arrival unless there was a speech.

5. WFAA also recorded the Love Field arrival on video tape for later use, as did CBS affiliate KRLD. Those original tapes are preserved at The Sixth Floor Museum. Existence of the KRLD tapes suggests they, too, carried the arrival live.

6. There is no indication in anything I have ever read or learned that any Kennedy appearance in Fort Worth or Dallas was ever shown live or even fed to any of the three networks (ABC, CBS, NBC), so it would be impossible to view those events outside of the Dallas-Fort Worth/North Texas area.

7. There was absolutely no live TV coverage anywhere along the motorcade route. All TV remote trucks are firmly accounted for, and without them there could be no live pictures. WFAA’s truck stayed at Love Field for they planned to show Kennedy’s departure back to Washington. KRLD’s truck was at the Trade Mart for pool coverage of that speech, which all four stations planned to show live. The KTVT truck did the pool coverage of the Fort Worth breakfast speech that morning, with assistance from the WBAP truck. Both vehicles were returning to their Fort Worth studios when the assassination happened.

And just so you know, my 34 years here both in broadcasting and at the Museum have put me in contact with many, many reporters, photographers, engineers and others from all four stations who covered those events. Many are personal friends to this day. Unfortunately, not everything we want to know now was documented at the time.

Gary Mack

P.S. Feel free to pass this along to anyone who wants to know.

So, yes, there was live coverage of the arrival at Love Field in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area .... but no other live coverage along the motorcade route.

This info and the time difference between Dallas and Florida make all 3 versions of Judyth's claims about what she and her co-workers saw on TV that day impossible. I am including those claims, as detailed in my original post, again below ... as well as the link to the Dutch radio interview of Judyth.

Hearing Judyth speak on the Dutch radio program is interesting.

Thanks, Jack .... a good thing to have doub;e checked with Gary, and thanks to Gary too.

From my original post:

[i]Hi Kathy,

After his summer job in the Gulf was over, Judyth and her husband returned to Gainesville, Florida where he was completing his degree. This is when Judyth is purported to have worked as a lab assistant at PenChem. (Fetzer posted some check stubs from PenChem a few days ago.)

The story about the co-workers and what they saw on TV is one of the things that underwent some changes over the years.

1.This from an early draft of her book posted on the net .... in 2006, as I recall:

A television set perched over our heads showed the news. JFK and Jackie had
arrived at Love Field in Dallas. I tried to maintain an outward calm. The
TV programs then were in black and white, but I could imagine that the
roses Jackie Kennedy was [sic] given probably complemented her dress. I
prayed to a God I did not believe in that there would be a bubble top
placed over the limousine. When I saw the President and his wife enter a
vehicle without a bubble top, I felt sick.

A major problem with this is that the Kennedy's arrival at Love Field was only televised live
on Dallas/Ft. Worth TV stations.

2. In her book printed by Trafford, pg 626, it was this:

A television set perched over our heads showed the news, sports and
weather beginning at noon. I saw the news about JFK arriving in Dallas,
trying to maintain outward calm. All the TV programs were then in black
and white, but I could imagine that the roses Jackie Kennedy was
given probably complemented her dress.

The problem with this is that there was no hour long noon news show in Gainesville according to any of the TV stations, as well as someone I was referred to at the university, I contacted a few years ago. Even if there was even a half hour news show at noon in Gainesville, Florida ... that would only be 11am in Dallas ... and the Kennedy's arrived at 11:40am Dallas time. That would be 12:40pm in Gainesville. Not in time for any 1/2 hour noon news show.

3. In 2003,in a Dutch interview originally broadcast in
streaming audio, Judyth said this:

Oh, I knew what was going to happen. I was working at a lab where I had
been placed making special chemicals for our project in Florida and they
all got chairs out to watch the assassination on TV. . . . And I saw it
happen on TV, and we had worked so hard to stop that from happening.

The problems with that are obvious.

The complete interview is here .... narrated in Dutch, but Judyth speaks in English, it's just a few seconds under 14 minutes in length. The quote above is from the beginning of the interview:

Link to Judyth's 2003 Dutch Radio interview:

CLICK HERE

Bests,
Barb :-)
[/quote]

Messages In This Thread
Judyth Vary Baker: Living in Exile - by Myra Bronstein - 01-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Judyth Vary Baker: Living in Exile - by Myra Bronstein - 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Judyth Vary Baker: Living in Exile - by Myra Bronstein - 04-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Judyth Vary Baker: Living in Exile - by Myra Bronstein - 22-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Judyth Vary Baker: Living in Exile - by Dixie Dea - 24-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Judyth Vary Baker: Living in Exile - by James H. Fetzer - 26-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JUDYTH VARY BAKER - IN HER OWN WORDS: Edited, With Commentary by Walt Brown, Ph.D Anthony Thorne 41 15,074 12-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  CAPA's Last Living Witnesses Symposium in Dallas this year! Peter Lemkin 0 10,033 10-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  April 1, 1963 Exile Cuban Leaders restricted to DADE COUNTY - start of JFK hatred David Josephs 19 12,305 11-03-2018, 06:37 PM
  Jim Marrs & Mike Baker: PROVE THE GRASSY KNOLL SHOT! Travel Channel: America Declassified Anthony DeFiore 47 26,322 13-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Poking More Holes in Judyth Baker Jim DiEugenio 95 55,093 05-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Ray Kovach
  Russ Baker on Coast To Coast Richard Coleman 0 2,289 18-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Richard Coleman
  Russ Baker Interview Alan Dale 0 5,900 29-07-2015, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Alan Dale
  Judyth Baker answering questions on Reddit this Friday Kyle Burnett 4 3,807 26-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Last Post: David Josephs
  Judyth Baker conferences: who is funding?? Dawn Meredith 11 6,492 28-10-2014, 08:57 PM
  Nicholson Baker - Dallas Killer's Club R.K. Locke 5 3,884 23-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Last Post: R.K. Locke