Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Seven Days in May" - the movie - Is being shown on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM-TV) in one hour
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:I beg to kind of disagree, but doves escaping into the night sky is not really a very subtle artistic concept. Its kind of antique and cliched. But that is Ridley Scott. And that is why I say listen to his comments on Gladiator.

Gladiator is irrelevant: The depth and sophistication of the artistic vision powering Blade Runner speaks for itself. That collective vision is not qualified in any meaningful way by examination of any of it's creator's other works.

Apparently, Jim, you either have not seen Blade Runner or your grasp of semiotics leaves a bit to be desired.

First of all: ONE dove.

Second: Try not to over-simplify to support your arguments. Follow your own advice: "[T]ake a look at the whole long last scene." Within the context of that scene, it is the sudden, wholly inexplicable appearance of the dove in Roy's grasp as it is timed to coincide with his creation of metaphor -- which is to say, artistic expression -- and revelation of his sense of personal mortality that in the aggregate comprise the filmmakers' commentary on the nature of human existence and the mystery of the soul/spirit.

The machine evolves before our eyes. Spirit manifests, then survives the demise of its earthly vessel, before our eyes.

The most profound questions confronting humankind are posed -- and, of course, left unanswered -- in the broader and unique generic language of science fiction.

Direct me, if you can, to a more succinct yet deep examination of the philosophy of mind within the history of film.

3. The production design of Blade Runner is appropriate to the film's genre and themes. The production design of Chinatown is appropriate to its genre and themes. Your comparison is inapt and, basically, brings little of value to the discussion.

And perhaps if you were more familiar with Blade Runner, you would recall that Roy's death scene was shot in L.A.'s landmark Bradbury Building prior to its restoration. It is on a bare, ruined rooftop, in the rain, sans effects, that Roy prepares to meet his other Maker. Not a whole lot of sci-fi production evident here.

I'm barely scratching the surface of Blade Runner. Favor yourself with another viewing, and then let's talk again.

Messages In This Thread
"Seven Days in May" - the movie - Is being shown on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM-TV) in one hour - by Charles Drago - 25-02-2013, 12:07 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JFK Act Shown Little to NO Respect, nor NARA/President following its legal mandate Peter Lemkin 3 12,089 07-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Bill Turner on Garrison KPFA Jim DiEugenio 2 7,765 10-01-2018, 06:12 AM
  Turner on Garrison Files on JFK Peter Lemkin 0 6,425 30-10-2017, 05:37 PM
  "Eyeball to Eyeball: JFK vs. the Joint Chiefs in THIRTEEN DAYS" Joseph McBride 0 3,334 25-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride
  This post reminds me of that movie; "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Scott Kaiser 3 3,328 03-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  AOL story "Clint Hill clearly hears the third shot" taken off line within 1 hour. Drew Phipps 0 2,217 25-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Castro Figured out the JFK Assassiantion in Five Days Jim DiEugenio 6 5,517 24-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Phil Dagosto
  William Turner: RIP Jim DiEugenio 5 4,762 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  The 2015 Hollywood mediation of Executive Action (1973) in the new movie Trumbo Nathaniel Heidenheimer 2 3,474 08-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Nathaniel Heidenheimer
  Last Days in Vietnam Jim DiEugenio 7 5,410 15-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle