Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Seven Days in May" - the movie - Is being shown on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM-TV) in one hour
Charles, the idea was expressed in plural because that idea, a dove or other bird in flight, has been used so many times in art that its hackneyed. In fact, I used it in my first student film. But I felt that even in my film it was more organic and therefore digested and not added on; to the point where you can see the propmaster giving Hauer the thing right before the clip board snapped.

As for not seeing Blade Runner, I was there at the theater on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks for its opening week in LA. I have since seen it on VHS, and DVD and the rereleased version on the big screen. I own the recut DVD. So please, do not presume I don't know the film.

You missed my point about the long last scene in Chinatown. My point in mentioning it was not just because it is so memorable and compelling but that Polanski made it up there on the set! Towne was so against it that he left the trailer and refused to write it. So Polanski had to write the whole thing, dialgoue and action, willy nilly. And it includes two all time one liners. Although Towne deserves credit for the first one.

You also miss my point about production design. Scott's films, especially Blade Runner, are visually striking because of their design, because he started his career as a production designer. If you actually examine his films shot by shot, scene by scene, they really aren't that exceptional, except for that element. That is why I say, Scott could never make something as exquisite as Tess. Or a scene with the originality or impact of the last shot of Repulsion. He just is not that concerned with those elements. And this is why the general quality of the acting in his films is not really superior. And in fact, actors have complained that he spends too much time on the visuals and not enough helping them find their characters.

So, anyway, I always liked Blade Runner. But I understand its strengths and weaknesses. Chinatown, on the other hand, really does not have any weaknesses. Its pretty much a completely fulfilled artistic intention. Further, it is based upon facts. There really was a heist by LA of the Owens Valley water. And the John Huston character is based upon the mastermind of that swipe: Harry Chanlder of the LA Times.

Messages In This Thread
"Seven Days in May" - the movie - Is being shown on the Turner Classic Movies (TCM-TV) in one hour - by Jim DiEugenio - 25-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JFK Act Shown Little to NO Respect, nor NARA/President following its legal mandate Peter Lemkin 3 12,089 07-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Bill Turner on Garrison KPFA Jim DiEugenio 2 7,765 10-01-2018, 06:12 AM
  Turner on Garrison Files on JFK Peter Lemkin 0 6,425 30-10-2017, 05:37 PM
  "Eyeball to Eyeball: JFK vs. the Joint Chiefs in THIRTEEN DAYS" Joseph McBride 0 3,334 25-04-2017, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride
  This post reminds me of that movie; "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Scott Kaiser 3 3,328 03-07-2016, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  AOL story "Clint Hill clearly hears the third shot" taken off line within 1 hour. Drew Phipps 0 2,217 25-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Castro Figured out the JFK Assassiantion in Five Days Jim DiEugenio 6 5,517 24-05-2016, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Phil Dagosto
  William Turner: RIP Jim DiEugenio 5 4,762 06-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  The 2015 Hollywood mediation of Executive Action (1973) in the new movie Trumbo Nathaniel Heidenheimer 2 3,474 08-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Nathaniel Heidenheimer
  Last Days in Vietnam Jim DiEugenio 7 5,410 15-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle