Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Product link Amazon reviews: A GREAT way to get WAY more eyes on the best books.
Fixed up review somewhat.

MORE IMPORTANTLY this MUST BE RESPONDED TO HOPEFULLY BY SEVERAL PEOPLE.

UNFORTUNATELY AMAZON SUSPENDED MY COMMENTING PRIVELEGES BUT THEY LET ROBERT MORROW POST EVERYWHERE AND HE IS....

Please respond to this in the comments section..

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars A controversial book !, August 17, 2013
By Paul Gelman "PAUL Y. GELMAN" (HAIFA , ISRAEL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: JFK's Last Hundred Days: The Transformation of a Man and the Emergence of a Great President (Hardcover)
I must confess that at the beginning I thought that I would give this book 5 stars. It is well written and the style is extremely elegant. Add the fact that there is not even one boring moment during its 362 pages of text.
But.. Here come the "But".
The problem with the book is at the end of end, ot to be more precise: with the last chapter, called "After Dallas". There, on page 353, Mr. Clarke remarks that:
"What might have been" is speculation, but what Kennedy intended to do is not".
To follow this line of thought and to develop it, one is supposed to supply evidence for such a statement. However, there is nothing which could satisfy the professional historian, since in the best case, this book takes a U-turn and becomes a counterfactual history.
To discuss what Kennedy intended to do, one must have proof for it. Here Mr. Clarke produces some statements uttered by some presidential aides and other figures, but all in all, he sounds extremely unconvincing.
On the very contrary, there is evidence that Kennedy has never given up the plan to get rid of Castro, and the best proof for this is the "Mongoose Plan", which was the brainchild of his brother, Bobby, and there is not even today one iota of evidence in the archives to refute this claim. The Presidential Recordings of those times augment this view.
I therefore rest my case. One can say that, in the best case, this book is a hagiography of Kennedy and nothing else. Or, it had to carry another subtitle called: "An intellectual exercise in counterfactual history".
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Thank you for your feedback.
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

Messages In This Thread
Product link Amazon reviews: A GREAT way to get WAY more eyes on the best books. - by Nathaniel Heidenheimer - 19-08-2013, 01:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DiEugenio Reviews Kamp's Book But Doesn't Mention Prayer Man Brian Doyle 0 534 06-10-2023, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Jim DiEugenio Reviews The House of Kennedy Jim DiEugenio 0 2,361 26-04-2020, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  John Newman special section: Reviews and Excerpts Jim DiEugenio 4 4,695 08-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Alan Ford
  Michael LeFlem reviews Pieces of the Puzzle Jim DiEugenio 2 3,357 26-01-2019, 08:06 AM
  Best JFK books of the last 2 years? Tracy Riddle 59 91,943 22-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Final chain link Harry Dean 7 23,044 20-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Jim DiEugenio reviews Jeff Morley's The Ghost Jim DiEugenio 14 12,911 03-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Last Post: James Lateer
  Three new / updated John Newman JFK books appearing on Amazon over the next few weeks Anthony Thorne 28 25,525 13-09-2017, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Anthony Thorne
  The CIA, JFK and Hollywood: Joe Green Reviews Nick Schou Jim DiEugenio 0 3,637 21-08-2017, 06:21 PM
  Oswald's and Kaiser's Phone Books Scott Kaiser 10 8,175 31-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser