Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tippit Case in the New Millenium
He was conspicuously absent from the FBI's key person list of witnesses, along with Benavides & Tatum. As previously discussed, the second had bit player status and the last was cut from whole cloth by Moriarty & the HSCA investigators. They also reactivated Bowley, undaunted by the 1:10 arrival time reported in his 12/2/63 DPD affidavit, handled by avoiding the issue altogether.

They did not steer clear of the danger posed by the surprising inclusion of an observation made by Bowley, introducing another reason why he was anathema to WC script preparation:

"Bowley remained on the scene until the police arrived. Whi[l]e awaiting the arrival of the police Bowley began to ask what had happened. He was told by someone on the scene that a man shot the officer and had ran West on Tenth Street toward the Church."
Interview: By Investigators Day, Maxwell and Leap
HSCA 11/12/77

The time, the Ruby connection, this too -- three strikes and Bowley was out, Benavides taking his place in the WR lineup.

The third strike cuts to the heart of the cab chase, the route, over which driver Scoggins whipped up a whirlpool of misdirections, muddled four separate ways starting with his 11/23/63 DPD affidavit ("This man got into the cab with me and we circled around several blocks but did not see this man who shot the officer.") and concluding with his 9/24/64 disavowal to WC of all knowledge in this regard, placing the onus squarely on the shoulders of the anonymous passenger who had picked up Tippit's gun ("Actually, I couldn't say where he was going."). Maybe so, but in the intervening SS affidavit he stated specifically where they did not go:

We proceeded north on Patton and possibly turned west on 10th. We cruised an area north of 10th street looking for the man I had seen, but we did not see him. When we left the intersection of 10th and Patton we did not go to Patton and Jefferson, but went in a northerly direction which would be opposite from the intersection of Patton and Jefferson streets.
SS 12/2/63

So which way did they go? North reeks of nonsense, almost as absurd as east, and Scoggins said they didn't go south. The possibility that they "turned west on 10th" looks very strong, eventually working around to the location of another enigma -- Hill's 1:26 radio transmission:
550/2 (Seargeant GERALD L. HILL) I'm at Twelfth and Beckley now - have a man in the car with me that can identify the suspect if anybody gets him, the one.
WCXXIII CE1974 p863

Only Scoggins fits the description of the "man in the car," but "the one" is a curious expression. It implies there was another, as in "can identify the suspect if anybody gets him, the one [and not the other]," the other being the fugitive who ran south on Patton to Jefferson. This prosaic pursuit involved Russell and DPD officers as described in his 2/23/64 FBI statements.
http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu/cdm...m/id/11270

Scoggins never identified the passenger with Tippit's gun.

The sheriff's substation at Twelfth and Beckley has received little attention. Presumably there was DPD radio reception. Could the sheriff's employees also put in radio calls to the DPD dispatcher? I cannot pin this down.

Messages In This Thread
The Tippit Case in the New Millenium - by Milo Reech - 18-08-2018, 05:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why the Government's Case Against Oswald is BS --- Part III Gil Jesus 0 272 10-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Gil Jesus
  Why the Govenment's Case Against Oswald is BS --- Part II Gil Jesus 1 307 28-11-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Why the Government's case against Oswald is BS --- Part I Gil Jesus 1 342 15-11-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Evidence of Witness Tampering in the case against Oswald Gil Jesus 0 379 28-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Gil Jesus
  Why Officer Tippit stopped his Killer Jim DiEugenio 24 19,531 26-12-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Milo Reech
  Was the TFX Case a Scandal? Jim DiEugenio 0 2,107 04-02-2020, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  The Uses of Public Relations in the JFK case Jim DiEugenio 0 1,736 11-01-2020, 05:41 AM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Finally: the Hammarskjold case is Moving Jim DiEugenio 14 15,301 04-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Richard Coleman
  OUR HIDDEN HISTORY podcast on JFK and Tippit murders Joseph McBride 1 10,239 22-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  My FightBox interview on JFK, Tippit, document releases, etc. Joseph McBride 0 6,781 22-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride