Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA TODAY Special issue on JFK
Check this out: http://specials.usatoday.com/jfk/ which even has a
half-way decent but completely neutral story about conspiracy theories.
This actually looks good.

Is it on sale now?
yes it is jim, went looking for the papers date on it, not prominent but when found says the 15th...b btw dr.jim, thanks for sending this, i spent 4 hours into it, earlier, but not finished with it, thanks again...b
I've had my 48-page USA Today Special Edition JFK's America: 50 Years After Kennedy's Election, His Legacy Endures (on sale through November 8, 2010) for a couple of months.

It is a very positive reflection with photos and rembrances favorable to the man.

Pages 21-3 bear the heading Conspiracy theories live long after JFK's death, with the data that within days of the shooting Gallup showed just more than half thought others were involved.

After the release of the Warren Commision report 87% said they believed the official version that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

The 1970's brought a cynicism of government prompted by Watergate, and the first broadcast of Abraham Zapruder's home movie of the shooting, spawning new interpretations of the event. The result: A near total reversal of public opinion: 81% told Gallup they believed in a conspiracy.

Gallup 2003: 90% of 18-to-29-year-olds said they believed in a conspiracy.

Older respondents blame Cuba or Soviet Union; younger blame Mafia or CIA.

I posit the article states the very muddling Jim DiEugenio warns against, the very cognitive dissonance Charles Drago describes, when it cites Lindsay Porter, author of Assassination: A History of Political Murder, "The more alleged data that's accumulated, the more muddled things become. It's now become a dialogue separate to the event itself. . . .The death overshadows the life, to the extent that for a lot of people it kind of obliterates it."

To which I would reply, in your dreams, Lindsay. And those of the beetles of Langley.

Through the work of careful researchers from Weisberg to Douglass as Jim so aptly frames the arc, the picture is of a grand thing, designed by a few geniuses, subscribed to by a horde of Cold Warriors.

Angleton's work with Oswald's files is like Nero Wolfe's fetish for orchids. One doesn't rush into the finer points without a world of experience.

The fact of Johnson's exit in two stages: March, 1968, in his whimpering; then, in 1973, when his carcass hit the deck. And yet the symphony was a work in progress before his entrance to the national stage, and its coverup continues to this daysee the dark destruction by the Secret Service of its 1963 records in full defiance of the JFK Act.

So, to that end should the work continue.

In my view, Johnson strutted and fretted his hour upon the stage, and a right bastard he was, just not the king, Ladies and Gentlemen, nor a Merlin or Rasputin.

And Oswaldthe man was not a communist, not a gunman, not alonefor he was involved with three intelligence agencies as well as David Ferrie, Jack Ruby, David Atlee Phillips, and more people than could fit on the bus on page 22:

Welcome to Big "D": National Headquarters Dr. Pepper Company, American Bottlers of Carbonated Beverages--

And that's where Nixon was. But Nixon was only Ike's liason to the Agency, and the brothers Dulles, and the defense-intelligence establishment that had been running our foreign policy before, during and after the assassination.

A consortium of interests. We're not just going to leave a source of heroin, and a golden goose of helos and ports, quit changing inconvenient regimes like socks, or turn over strategic decisions to someone who sends personal letters to the other side of the looking glass.

If someone thought he would replace the pursuit of naked power with that of peace, he would be out of his mind, and his mind would be on the back of his limousine for all the world to see.

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, it is every bit JFK's America even unto this very day.
FOr MSM though it is a pretty good article. Except for the end. As Phil correctly pointed out.

I wish I'd known it was out at the time. It coincided with the 50th anniversary of the election.

I wonder what this paper will say on the 50th anniversary of the assassination.

I see an opening here. Perhaps.

Dawn
I am sure there is a thread for JFKU here but I am on my way out to an appointment and just happened to see this and wanted to post it before I forget about it.

Most of us in the research community know "Treefrog" and what is interesting in this short review is the last part: about cold cases. Hmmmm another opening...
This is from Amazon.com:
Dawn

Jim Marrs book and James Douglas book are Required Reading, January 10, 2011
By Treefrog - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters (Paperback)
Since first arriving in Dallas in 1993, and during 17 subsequent trips each year to attend JFK Conferences, there is no doubt that serious JFK Researchers should first watch the JFK Movie by Oliver Stone, then read Jim Marrs book, "Crossfire", followed by "JFK and the Unspeakable". Douglas brings us up to date with previously undisclosed information about Oswald, Vietnam and JFKs uphill struggle against people in his own White House, working behind the scenes with back channel messages to Nikita Khruschev during the Missile Crisis, and secret communications with Fidel Castro through his most trusted friends. Fortunately, many documents about these matters are now declassified and released. After having acquired a collection of over 200 JFK books, these two are mandatory for both newbies just beginning to study the case, or experienced JFK addicts. Many folks may be shocked to learn that the JFK Murder is still an open cold case in the Dallas Police Department, having never been solved. A retired Dallas Police Detective told me that it is the most frequently discussed cold case at their annual meetings.

Treefrog
South Florida Research Group
Meeting Coordinator ire
Nice overview, Phil. And of course I agree that that remark was unfortunate, but it is mild compared to what some sources would claim. Thanks for such a nice summary.

Phil Dragoo Wrote:I've had my 48-page USA Today Special Edition JFK's America: 50 Years After Kennedy's Election, His Legacy Endures (on sale through November 8, 2010) for a couple of months.

It is a very positive reflection with photos and rembrances favorable to the man.

Pages 21-3 bear the heading Conspiracy theories live long after JFK's death, with the data that within days of the shooting Gallup showed just more than half thought others were involved.

After the release of the Warren Commision report 87% said they believed the official version that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

The 1970's brought a cynicism of government prompted by Watergate, and the first broadcast of Abraham Zapruder's home movie of the shooting, spawning new interpretations of the event. The result: A near total reversal of public opinion: 81% told Gallup they believed in a conspiracy.

Gallup 2003: 90% of 18-to-29-year-olds said they believed in a conspiracy.

Older respondents blame Cuba or Soviet Union; younger blame Mafia or CIA.

I posit the article states the very muddling Jim DiEugenio warns against, the very cognitive dissonance Charles Drago describes, when it cites Lindsay Porter, author of Assassination: A History of Political Murder, "The more alleged data that's accumulated, the more muddled things become. It's now become a dialogue separate to the event itself. . . .The death overshadows the life, to the extent that for a lot of people it kind of obliterates it."

To which I would reply, in your dreams, Lindsay. And those of the beetles of Langley.

Through the work of careful researchers from Weisberg to Douglass as Jim so aptly frames the arc, the picture is of a grand thing, designed by a few geniuses, subscribed to by a horde of Cold Warriors.

Angleton's work with Oswald's files is like Nero Wolfe's fetish for orchids. One doesn't rush into the finer points without a world of experience.

The fact of Johnson's exit in two stages: March, 1968, in his whimpering; then, in 1973, when his carcass hit the deck. And yet the symphony was a work in progress before his entrance to the national stage, and its coverup continues to this daysee the dark destruction by the Secret Service of its 1963 records in full defiance of the JFK Act.

So, to that end should the work continue.

In my view, Johnson strutted and fretted his hour upon the stage, and a right bastard he was, just not the king, Ladies and Gentlemen, nor a Merlin or Rasputin.

And Oswaldthe man was not a communist, not a gunman, not alonefor he was involved with three intelligence agencies as well as David Ferrie, Jack Ruby, David Atlee Phillips, and more people than could fit on the bus on page 22:

Welcome to Big "D": National Headquarters Dr. Pepper Company, American Bottlers of Carbonated Beverages--

And that's where Nixon was. But Nixon was only Ike's liason to the Agency, and the brothers Dulles, and the defense-intelligence establishment that had been running our foreign policy before, during and after the assassination.

A consortium of interests. We're not just going to leave a source of heroin, and a golden goose of helos and ports, quit changing inconvenient regimes like socks, or turn over strategic decisions to someone who sends personal letters to the other side of the looking glass.

If someone thought he would replace the pursuit of naked power with that of peace, he would be out of his mind, and his mind would be on the back of his limousine for all the world to see.

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, it is every bit JFK's America even unto this very day.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chris Davidson Ends Prayer Man Issue On MacRae's Forum Brian Doyle 1 378 02-10-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  The State of the ARRB today Jim DiEugenio 0 1,674 28-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  John Newman special section: Reviews and Excerpts Jim DiEugenio 4 4,307 08-03-2019, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Alan Ford
  Deep Truth Journal: First Issue Jim DiEugenio 0 4,840 29-12-2018, 09:29 PM
  We should all feel vindicated today Anthony DeFiore 9 10,082 28-10-2017, 03:27 AM
  The 1975 CBS Special Jim DiEugenio 5 3,503 17-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Today is the 53rd Anniversary of the “Oswald” Set-up Jim Hargrove 10 7,673 05-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Hillary Clinton vs JFK: Why the Case is Relevant today Jim DiEugenio 8 6,538 29-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  JFK would be a Republican today Tracy Riddle 11 4,585 02-07-2015, 05:20 PM
  50 Years Ago Today Albert Doyle 20 8,473 11-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Last Post: R.K. Locke