Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaza Freedom March
ISRAELI PEACE ACTIONS BULLETIN # One

Hi, everyone, now that I am in Israel, I have been doing some activist tourism. Yesterday I went on a guided tour with Rotem Dan M. Some of you will remember him as a twenty year old refusenik when he came to Australia eight years ago. He is now running his own business as a social justice tour guide. We went to Silwan a large but poor Palestinian suburb of Jerusalem. Silwan is the real Old City of Jersualem, where the palace of King David, if he lived, may well be. Silwan is the focus of politicised archeology digs and progressive exclusion of Palestinians from their homes. A right-wing organisation, Elad, with the mission of reclaiming the Jewish history of Silwan stops at nothing to gain possession Palestinian homes and digging to demonstrate the exclusively Jewish history of the site. The name Silwan has been removed and replaced by the "City of David". It is privately funded with the blessiing of the Israeli authorities. Elad activists have posed as tour operators to!
gain the confidence of Palestinian families and find out about the details of their ownership of their homes. These have been used to manipulate them into selling. In one case the fingerprints of a dead woman were used to forge a signature agreeing to sale. While a court judgement declared the documents to be forged, the 'sale' was not cancelled.

Rotem took us to visit a family whose home or part of it had been demolished twice because there was no permit (very few Palestinians get building permits,). Two of th sons of the house are under house arrest for allegedly throwing stones. Rotem speaks fluent Arabic and it was joy to see him engage so warmly with our hosts. This is peace-making in action. |How healing for that Palestinian family to encounter an Israeli who reaches out to them by learning their language and speak with them on an equal level. What a contrast from having their history obliterated and their property rights over-ridden. This scary need to eliminate the Other, when embracing them as equals brings such rich rewards.

Rotem then took us to the Wadi Hilwah Information Centre. This is how the people of Silwan are fighting back, by putting their limited resources into a community centre that puts their story and affirms their rights.

Today I joined the weekly demonstration against the dispossession of Palestinians by fanatical ultra religious Jewish settler in Sheikh Jarrah. It is led by young people in a new coalition to fight house demolitions in East Jerusalem. About two hundred and fifty of us marched the one and a half hour walk from trendy Ben Yehuda Street in central Jerusalem to the \palestinian suburb of Shekh Jarrah. Cops accompanied us , chasing away the odd character who yelled abuse at us in the \jewish area. We were welcomed with Arabic coffee by the local \Palestinians in Sheikh Jarrah. Slogans and banners said 'Sheikh Jarrah is Palestine, remove the settlements!' 'Free Palestine = Free Israel' 'This is Apartheid' 'Democracy cannot live on Dispossession'. We were orderly, stayed on the footpath by agreement with the police. A number of the young people wore flowers in their hair. A group of drummers led by an unflagging young woman played all the way to Sheikh Jarra There were a numbe!
r of people from the Gaza Freedom |March there, including Phil Weiss of Mondoweiss. A number stayed on to be in the homes with the Palestinians after the settlers came out of their Shabbat service, when not infrequently they harass the local Palestinians. Since I am leaving at seven am tomorrow morning to go to the South Hebron Hills tomorrow, I gave that one a miss, though I would have like d to do it. Next time I must plan to stay longer!

Anyway, people, signing off for tonight

Vivienne

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Messages In This Thread
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 28-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 28-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 28-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 31-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Gaza Freedom March - by Peter Presland - 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 03-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 06-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 08-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Gaza Freedom March - by Magda Hassan - 11-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Israeli Attack on Gaza: 2014 Version Lauren Johnson 86 24,907 18-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Israel On Killing Spree In Gaza Peter Lemkin 181 91,294 09-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Israel has attacked Gaza Flotilla (dead and wounded) Ed Jewett 245 116,567 15-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Palestinian Freedom Riders protest segregation on settler buses. Magda Hassan 0 2,255 24-11-2011, 02:59 AM
  Alan Gross: What Happened Between March and August? Ed Jewett 0 3,331 07-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  The Audacity of Hope:Freedom Floatilla Redux Keith Millea 1 3,109 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM
  Israel Warns Foreign Journalists: Joining Gaza Flotilla Is Illegal Keith Millea 5 3,676 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Keith Millea
  BREAKING NEWS: Israel Attacks Humanitarian Ship to Gaza in International Waters. Again. Magda Hassan 3 3,754 17-05-2011, 03:31 AM
  Egypt to open Gaza border Tuesday Magda Hassan 0 2,275 21-02-2011, 02:10 PM
  Israel bombing Gaza Magda Hassan 6 4,014 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski