Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celluloid Doppelganger: Why the Zapruder Film's Authenticity Can Be Argued
By very loose analogy, see The Godfather Part III.

I am not talking specifically of the JFK hit here, but of the grand, enduring, order of things.

By the time of The Godfather Part III, Michael Corleone no longer dreams of his children becoming Senators or members of Congress. Instead, Michael uses the huge profits of the Corleone family business to create a "philanthropic" foundation, and to buy a fictionalized representation of Società Generale Immobiliare, the "world's largest real estate company" and the ultimate "legitimate" business.

At the beginning of the film, Michael is blessed by an Archbishop and created a Knight Commander of the Order of Saint Silvester - a literary incarnation of an enduring, SMOM-type, octopus.

Michael thinks his family is finally becoming "legitimate".

In the Vatican, he has sufficient trust in the goodness of a Cardinal, "Lamberto", the future Pope John Paul I, to confess:

Quote:Cardinal Lamberto: Sometimes the desire to confess is overwhelming, and we must seize the moment.

Michael: What is the point of confessing if I don't repent?

Cardinal Lamberto: I hear you are a practical man. What have you got to lose? Go on.

Michael: I... betrayed my wife.

Cardinal Lamberto: Go on, my son.

Michael: I betrayed myself. I killed men. And I ordered men to be killed.

Cardinal Lamberto: Go on, my son. Go on.

Michael: It's useless.

Cardinal Lamberto: Go on, my son.

Michael: I killed... I ordered the death of my brother. He injured me. I killed my mother's son. I killed my father's son.

Cardinal Lamberto: Your sins are terrible, and it is just that you suffer. Your life could be redeemed, but I know that you don't believe that. You will not change.

In fact, Michael is about to fall foul of a massive swindle at the hands of The Godfather Part III's fictional representation of the Gladio lodge P2, which is, in part, offspring of Permindex.

Michael learns that a contract has been put on his head: he thinks by P2, but they are the facilitators. The contract has been placed by the sponsors, whose identity he neither understands nor learns. Michael is, after all, a "practical man".

For the Corleone family, it is now a question of survival. Michael makes Vincent, the bastard son of his reckless brother Sonny, the new Godfather, a wartime Godfather.

But, as the classic dark Sicilian opera, Cavalleria rusticana (literally Rustic Chivalry) climaxes, and the new and foolishly innocent Pope John Paul I challenges the sponsors and is murdered by them, the Corleone family are reminded of their place in the grand scheme.

Vincent cannot prevent Michael's daughter being slaughtered by an ancient assassin, an archetypal assassin out of Jorge Luis Borges, on the steps of the opera house.

When Michael realizes his daughter is dead, his entire face opens wide in a helpless scream of pure realization and pure horror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a1eXN_70v0

The Corleone family were, at best, mechanics.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war

Messages In This Thread
Celluloid Doppelganger: Why the Zapruder Film's Authenticity Can Be Argued - by Jan Klimkowski - 21-01-2010, 10:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarah Stanton (i.e. PrayerMan) in Dan Owens film Richard Gilbride 7 1,637 01-10-2023, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Manipulation of TOWNER film David Josephs 0 2,095 26-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Last Post: David Josephs
  Nov. 22 radio interviews with me and Alexandra Zapruder Joseph McBride 21 19,139 11-05-2017, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Tom Scully
  Did Dillard film American-born LEE Oswald on sixth floor? Jim Hargrove 9 8,839 12-04-2017, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Jeff Carter: Part 2 of his Review of Alexandra Zapruder Jim DiEugenio 0 2,405 23-03-2017, 05:45 PM
  Jeff Carter Reviews "26 Seconds" by Alexandra Zapruder Jim DiEugenio 2 3,064 19-02-2017, 10:17 PM
  Write Amazon reviews of new Zapruder Book. NOW! It is selling Nathaniel Heidenheimer 3 3,605 25-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Nathaniel Heidenheimer
  New JFK Film Peter Lemkin 4 5,597 12-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Dartmouth Study of Backyard Photo supposedly confirms authenticity Tom Bowden 38 16,382 08-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Zapruder grandson named poetry editor of NY Times Joseph McBride 0 2,286 13-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride