Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today"
Jim,

To simplify, I've eliminated most of the preceding exchange and now cut to the chase. Your comments, which I address in ORCHID, are rendered in ho-hum black.

Descartes addressed this kind of appeal by observing that we might be mistaking particularly vivid dreams or have been deceived about what we thought we were observing by an "evil demon". The point is not that this is what was happening but that it is a possibility that undermines complete confidence in any of our experiences, no matter how "personal". I agree that you almost certainly had these experiences but, in the nature of the matter, the "almost" cannot be eliminated in favor of certainty. Even the most convincing experience could have an alternative explanation, if we were under the influence of LSD, for example. There is no reason to fight it. All of our knowledge about ourselves and the world around us is uncertain--not in a simple subjective sense but in a strict objective one. There are always alternative possible explanations, no matter how improbable. Which is why not even our personal experiences can strictly qualify as "certain".

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I’ve been with you on this all along. Our imaginations in concert with our understanding of “known” phenomena provide limitless alternatives, which, we concede, must be weighed in terms of probability/likelihood.

At the same time, in pursuit of justice and in service to the survival of self and others, we must forgo the luxury of infinite possibility and act in as wise, informed, and effective a manner as possible. Act.[/COLOR]

Well, this "Major Lopez" business is new to me, so it qualifies as a new alternative hypothesis. I don't regard any of my judgments as "rushed" in
these matters--and certainly not with regard to the Holt/Hunt matter, where I organized and moderated a symposium at Lancer to address it, where Jerry Rose was sufficiently impressed to change his opinion from Hunt to Holt!

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I respect and honor our mutual friend Jerry, whose presence in our active ranks is sorely felt.

In terms of my “rush to judgement” evaluation, I mean this: In my estimation you make the same error that I made when stating that I “know” Custer died at Little Bighorn. You are not considering all possible explanations for the alleged identifications of intel officers/agents/suspects in Dealey Plaza. For example: forged images to promote dissension in the ranks and public ridicule; flawed if honorable subjective (non scientific) appreciations of likeness; etc.[/COLOR]

In matters of personal identification, because [Prouty] knew these men up close and personal, he is an authority in relation to their identification in photos. He possesses appropriate kinds of specialized knowledge, which is also true of Brad Ayers and Wayne Smith, but is not true of David Talbot or his running mate.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Jim, I never have doubted Prouty’s ability to identify these characters. What I do call into question is the likelihood of his truthfulness in promoting those identifications.

We can get into a Prouty debate if you wish.[/COLOR]

Well, maybe there is an "obvious alternative candidate", after all. Is there any reason to think [“Major Lopez”] might have been in Dealey Plaza with the others?

A qualified “yes” to your question, which I’ll go into in as much detail (there’s not a lot) soon.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to my outdoor tub. Although it's 29 degrees farenheit, and terminal shrinkage is a very real risk.

Messages In This Thread
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 06:43 AM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 07:44 AM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 08:13 AM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 08:48 AM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 09:29 AM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 09:36 AM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 06:55 PM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Myra Bronstein - 24-12-2009, 07:28 PM
"What Happened to JFK--and Why it Matters Today" - by Charles Drago - 26-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The State of the ARRB today Jim DiEugenio 0 1,686 28-10-2019, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  We should all feel vindicated today Anthony DeFiore 9 10,105 28-10-2017, 03:27 AM
  Why the second floor lunch room encounter could not have happened Bob Prudhomme 245 90,960 16-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Today is the 53rd Anniversary of the “Oswald” Set-up Jim Hargrove 10 7,683 05-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Hillary Clinton vs JFK: Why the Case is Relevant today Jim DiEugenio 8 6,548 29-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  what happened to gary shaw? Edwin Ortiz 24 24,311 21-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Does anyone know what happened to the other Kleins rifles? David Josephs 0 1,937 14-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: David Josephs
  JFK would be a Republican today Tracy Riddle 11 4,632 02-07-2015, 05:20 PM
  Rachel Maddow admits Vietnam war only happened because JFK was assassinated Tracy Riddle 32 10,892 18-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Ken Garretson
  50 Years Ago Today Albert Doyle 20 8,524 11-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Last Post: R.K. Locke