Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maggie Thatcher dead of stroke....
News just broke an hour ago....more to follow.

AMY GOODMAN: We turn to the breaking news of the death of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher at the age of 87. She was Britain's first female prime minister, serving three terms in office. Known as the "Iron Lady," Margaret Thatcher became synonymous with austerity economics as a close ally of President Ronald Reagan. She famously declared to critics of neoliberal capitalism that, quote, "There is no alternative." Her long-running battle with striking British miners dealt a major blow to the union movement in Britain and ushered in a wave of privatizations. On foreign policy, Thatcher presided over the Falklands War with Argentina and provided critical support to the Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet.

To discuss Margaret Thatcher's legacy, we go now to London, where we're joined by Tariq Ali, British-Pakistani political commentator, writer, activist and editor of the New Left Review.

In these last minutes we have, Tariq, talk about the legacy of, talk about the tenure of the former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

TARIQ ALI: Amy, there's no doubt about it. She transformed British politics. She basically won over the opposition. Her legacy is still very much in force, so she's not at all dead in terms of what is going on in this country. Her policies are being carried out by the coalition government. Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, New Labour prime ministers, were completely enthralled to her. She was the first person invited by Blair to 10 Downing Street when he became prime minister, to show how much he owed her, and Gordon Brown did exactly the same thing. So we have had a continuum, that the process Margaret Thatcher started off was carried on by Blair, who used rhetoric on the Iraq, Kosovo and Afghan wars very similar to the rhetoric she used on the Falklands. And this policy has continued. So her legacy is effectively to have wrecked Britain economically and to have made it a total vassal state of the American empire.

AMY GOODMAN: Tariq, can you talk about the legacy of Thatcherism for the working class in Britain?

TARIQ ALI: Well, basically, she took on the workers' movement, which had become very strong. Trade unions were very powerful in this country, and they were effectively challenging capital by demanding a share of the take, and being quite successful. The miners' union, one of the most respected unions in the country, challenged her. She organized the state, the use of the police, use of the secret services, to defeat them. And she did it, and she referred to union militancy as "the enemy within." She was very hot on enemies, either abroad or at home. And that phrase, "the enemy within," has been used subsequently against dissidents of other sorts by her successors.

AMY GOODMAN: Can you talk about her foreign policy, from the Falklands Warand we only have a minuteto her support of the apartheid regime, calling Nelson Mandela a terrorist?

TARIQ ALI: Well, she did call Nelson Mandela a terrorist, but one should remember that the Western governments as a whole were not at all friendly to the ANC, sustained and maintained apartheid, with a few exceptions in Scandinavia, throughout it. And Thatcher was upfront about it. Her foreign policy was deeply conservative and reactionary, and that foreign policy has not changed since she was forced out on Europe. Europe is still a big, big divisive issue in the country and within the Conservative Party as a whole.

And so, on every level, Amy, domestic level, international level, Thatcherism continues. One shouldn't imagine that it's over. And I hate to say this, but the fact that we haven't come up, or no one hasneither the center-left or anyone else has managed to come up with an alternative to the Wall Street crash of 2008, does indicate that there was some truth in her statement that there is no alternative, at least as far as the mainstream is concerned.

AMY GOODMAN: Tariq Ali, I want to thank you for being with us, British-Pakistani political commentator, historian, activist, filmmaker, novelist and editor of the New Left Review, joining us from London on this late breaking news that the former prime minister of Britain, Margaret Thatcher, has died at the age of 87.

Attached Files
.jpg   Thatcher&Ronnie.jpg (Size: 65.68 KB / Downloads: 1)
.jpg   MaggieChurchill.jpg (Size: 52.33 KB / Downloads: 2)
.gif   thatcher-queen-hearts.gif (Size: 18.46 KB / Downloads: 2)
.jpeg   MaggieImTank.jpeg (Size: 35.58 KB / Downloads: 2)
.jpeg   Maggie and Pinocet.jpeg (Size: 10.78 KB / Downloads: 1)
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
[Image: party.gif]
http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
There will be dancing in the streets tonight in the UK and Argentina if no where else.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4562[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   BHVCdg-CIAA1NI2.jpg (Size: 64.99 KB / Downloads: 5)

Thatcher passed fit for work by ATOS.

"@BenjiWilliamson: #[B]nowthatchersdead #[B][B]nostatefuneral[/B] We can have her funeral handled by the lowest bidder. It's what she would have wanted."

[/B][/B]state funeral staffed by unemployed youth on mandatory workfare, policed by G4S & sponsored by ATOS #[B]nostatefuneral[/B]

Prince Charles ‏@Charles_HRH7m
Text from Mr Clegg: "Sad to hear about the death of Baroness [B]Thatcher. I loved her in Mamma Mia!". Not replying.

[/B]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4563[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   nicht-freischalten-nachruf-thatcher.jpg (Size: 138.29 KB / Downloads: 12)
The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".
Now comes all the right-wing crap about what a saviour she was. BY the end of the week I'll be vomiting. I'll be vomiting earlier than that if, as I expect, there is a movement for a state funeral.

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Just change the station. Read. I know when Poppy Bush finally goes it will be the same here. Beyond disgusting.

But maybe he won't even die, deal made with the devil to just live...forever.

Bye Maggie. No one will miss you but ....gee I cannot think of anyone. Oh well.

Dawn
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Assange, Whistleblowers, Investigative Journalism and the BEAST that wants them dead Peter Lemkin 1 1,247 04-02-2023, 12:39 AM
Last Post: Fred Steeves
  12 Dead in Daytime Paris Attack at Satirical Magazine Peter Lemkin 241 55,783 26-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Licio Gelli, Former Head of Fascist Gladio-Connected P2 Lodge Dead Peter Lemkin 11 15,047 18-12-2015, 06:45 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Julian Bond Dead at 75 - All of my childhood heroes are dying Peter Lemkin 4 20,463 28-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  The Czech Dead Student Lauren Johnson 5 5,167 20-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Andreotti [P-2/Gladio member] dead. Peter Lemkin 0 3,722 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM
  Activist, Actor Russell Means Dead at 72 Keith Millea 2 3,306 22-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Keith Millea
  Tories: "This is our Thatcher moment" Jan Klimkowski 0 2,099 31-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Gunderson, Ted... dead Ed Jewett 0 4,251 02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  Alexander Haig Dead....Good Riddence! Peter Lemkin 2 4,331 20-02-2010, 08:35 PM