Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teaching JFK to a New Generation at the TSBD
http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/ED...L_5690100/

DALLAS In a room overlooking the very spot where President John F. Kennedy was shot, in a seat a few dozen feet from the Sniper's Perch, Lee Harvey Oswald waited for a verdict from a jury of his peers.
"Oswald" was actually Terry Cherry, a history teacher at Garland Independent School District's Forest High School. Friday's mock trial was part of a weeklong seminar for teachers hosted by the Sixth Floor Museum and the Library of Congress, with help from the law-related education office of the Texas Bar Association.
Friday's trial was the climax of the week, which included a bus tour to every important spot in Dallas related to the Kennedy assassination, and intense Internet training to help teachers navigate the extensive Library of Congress website.
"I have this job because this website is so overwhelming," said Peggy O'Neill-Jones, director of the western region of the library's Teaching with Primary Sources program.
The goal of the seminar was to help teachers from around the state bring primary sources into their classroom assignments, either by having students actually visit the places where history happened or by accessing the millions of documents digitized onto various historical websites.
It was also part of a continuing effort by the Sixth Floor Museum to move beyond simply being a place to see artifacts related to Kennedy's murder on Nov. 22, 1963. The narrow mission of keeping a memory alive is not enough as fewer and fewer people share that memory, acknowledged Sharron Wilkins Conrad, the museum's curator of education.
The exhibits in the museum itself have broadened to examine larger questions of Kennedy's legacy. And Conrad encourages teachers in the area to look to the museum as a resource for lessons that go beyond one presidential assassination.
"Teachers can look for a much larger context about what happened here in Dallas," she said.
Lessons about the presidency, issues of succession or amending the Constitution can all use Sixth Floor resources, she said.
Materials for a mock trial of Oswald have been available on the museum website for a while, but the Sixth Floor had never hosted this kind of event. This was also a first-time collaboration with the Library of Congress's primary sources project.
The curriculum was written for the state bar association a decade ago by Yvonne Greenwood, a former history teacher for the Richardson Independent School District.
On the day of the assassination, she was working in an office on the motorcade route and had watched Kennedy pass by.
"I was still caught in traffic when I heard on KRLD that he'd been shot," she said.
She served Friday as the presiding judge. Three teachers formed a prosecution team, another three sat as the defense. Several teachers were given roles as witnesses. A dozen were empanelled as a jury. The trial was held in a meeting room on the seventh floor of what is now the Dallas County commission headquarters building, one floor above where Oswald shot at Kennedy.
The two sides sparred in a legally appropriate fashion for a little more than an hour. The prosecution showed the famous photo of Oswald holding a rifle. "Marina Oswald" said she thought her husband looked guilty when she saw him on TV after the shooting.
The defense noted a lack of clear motive or eyewitnesses to Oswald firing the rifle and produced a witness who said the shots seemed to come from behind the famous knoll.
Greenwood instructed the jury to find the defendant guilty only if the prosecution had proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.
"All defendants are presumed innocent, including Lee Harvey Oswald," she said.
While the jury deliberated privately, Greenwood said that convictions of Oswald with this mock trial are very rare. It's too hard to present enough circumstantial evidence in such a short time to beat all reasonable doubts.
Friday's result? A hung jury. Nine wanted to acquit. Jury foreman Jay Thompson, a teacher at Mesquite's John Horn High School, was one of the three wanting to convict.
"I came in very biased against the defendant," Thompson admitted.
"I was OK with a hung jury," said Jared Stewart, a history teacher at Richardson ISD's Pearce High School who was part of the defense team.
Ed Darnell is a history teacher at Molina High School in Dallas. Like Stewart, he'd volunteered to argue on Oswald's side.
"Everybody," he said, "deserves a good defense."

© 2011, The Dallas Morning News.
Visit The Dallas Morning News on the World Wide Web at http://www.dallasnews.com/.
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
I can only surmise it is a short course then if it is the 6th floor museum. After the public have paid over their money they sit down some one from the museum walks in and says "Oswald did it". Lesson over. Go home.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Good one Magda, but me thinks it is somewhat more than that, as it is training for teachers, who then will return to their classrooms, fully brain washed cause the government told them so on the web, i did wonder just how much information for the defense was, is provided, I imagine, i will be told, all is there on the web, for them to educate themselves, yeah sure, and i had a red one but the wheels fell off.....:cleanears:first they must correct their history books, i would think, but we shall see what comes round...

''This was also a first-time collaboration with the Library of Congress's primary sources project.
The curriculum was written for the state bar association'' Funny ain't it, how the tsbd just happens to always be in the center of things isn't it...almost as if they arrange all....:what:
Why doesn't the Bar Association concern itself with getting the Justice department to do what they have to do and investigate (a real one thank you) the unsolved murders of JFK, Tippet, MLK etc etc....
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Because they are part of the government and so, they only do what they want to, when they feel like it, and what they should as seldom as possible..:gossip::banghead:that's why they work for the government..:what:
Maybe someone could arrange to have a series of sound trucks circuiting the Dealey Plaza route
repeatedly playing the loop from Bill Hicks... :director:
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"
Ed Jewett Wrote:Maybe someone could arrange to have a series of sound trucks circuiting the Dealey Plaza route
repeatedly playing the loop from Bill Hicks... :director:
OMG Ed! I nearly ruined my keyboard spluttering my coffee everywhere :coffeescreen:
I'll chip in for the petrol for that. Driving:bike::director:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2800[/ATTACH]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0bIRkv29xk

Attached Files
.jpg   Confusatory.jpg (Size: 91.63 KB / Downloads: 3)
I'LL chip in also Ed as long as it can be turned up full blast under Gary Poo Mackaroni's window....BTW here's his latest slam, he ALWAYS HAS ONE..FOR ALL THIS TIME, WHICH IS USUAL, SO WE MUST KEEP UP...:phone::rocker::cheer:AS HE KNOWS NO BETTER..:poketongue:

Hi Beans,

Such hilarious posts from folks about the Museum's educational efforts recently. Can't those people read? Or do they just make up stuff? And how is one to know the difference?

The Museum acted as host for the educational program, but the content of everything came almost entirely from those putting on the event, not from us. The Museum provided a few pictures they asked for, such as the backyard photo, but the presentation and all came from others. Details about the event have been on our website for months: :alberteinstein::drink:

http://jfk.org/go/education

http://jfk.org/content/pdf/edu/twps-2011...20FAQs.pdf

Gary
The sound car should be a replica of the ambulance that didn't carry JFK and should be staffed by people wearing some of masques of key people involved in the cover-up wearing some of those Phil Dragoo-inspired conehead pristine copper skulls. As in other parades, "give-aways" (truth nuggets wrapped in foil like Hershey's Kisses?) should be tossed to the bystanders. Ideas for those IED's (improvised enlightenment devices) will come from the DPF membership.
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "ScarfLady"---TSBD building "employee"? LR Trotter 98 67,802 23-10-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: LR Trotter
  I Will Be Teaching a JFK Assassination Class Don Jeffries 19 12,429 17-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Dawn Meredith
  Lovelady in front of TSBD Bob Prudhomme 71 19,377 15-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Last Post: David Josephs
  TSBD Rifle Wrong Length, Alleged Shipment Unverified Nick Rose 16 8,118 18-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Praise from a Future Generation: Another e-book John Kelin 29 12,008 02-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Marlene Zenker
  TSBD Rifles Albert Doyle 11 7,782 21-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Drago
  ON FILM: Ruby and Oswald at TSBD? Charles Drago 31 10,330 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Greg Burnham
  More Evidence That An 'Oswald or Oswald look-alike' Left the TSBD in a Rambler Peter Lemkin 13 9,947 26-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Gordon Gray
  TSBD Doorway man - Oswald or Lovelady? Ralph Cinque 521 141,016 09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Last Post: The Moderators
  TSBD gets Zonked..... Bernice Moore 4 2,824 19-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Greg Burnham