Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silencers, Sniper Rifles and the CIA
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:Yes, I agree with that one David. That one is amazingly quiet. Interesting that its based upon the Enfield.

BTW, when I first proposed this idea to Gary Mack back when the movie JFK came out, he immediately responded with words to the effect that, then you are talking about a handgun!

Can you believe that? In 1992, Gary Mack had never heard of the work of Mitch Werbell.

Who I am pretty sure diagrammed that chart on p. 15 that Carol calls Figure 4. Boy is that fascinating.

Talk about professionals.

Gary Mack would have referred to the de Lisle Carbine as a handgun for the simple fact this weapon fired .45 ACP pistol ammunition at subsonic velocities (830 fps muzzle velocity) making it, essentially, a handgun with a long barrel and stock.
Mr. HILL. The right rear portion of his head was missing. It was lying in the rear seat of the car. His brain was exposed. There was blood and bits of brain all over the entire rear portion of the car. Mrs. Kennedy was completely covered with blood. There was so much blood you could not tell if there had been any other wound or not, except for the one large gaping wound in the right rear portion of the head.

Warren Commission testimony of Secret Service Agent Clinton J. Hill, 1964
Carol Hewett makes reference to the shell casing found on the roof of the Dal-Tex Building, dubbing it the "Dal-Tex Specimen". She further describes it in this manner, "What was unique about this case was the crimped edges along the neck suggesting that either the shell had been handloaded or had been used in conjunction with a sabot."

I have handloaded many rifle cartridges, and was unaware of a special crimping used in handloading or for factory loaded or handloaded sabots. In fact, I have never crimped the neck of the cartridges I handloaded, and do not know anyone who ever has. Unless crimps are of the indented type, such as seen on the 6.5mm Carcano casing, they are difficult to see on a fired cartridge, as the brass stretches outwards to fill the chamber under the pressure of hot gases.

Perhaps someone could educate me on just what Ms. Hewett was referring to.
Mr. HILL. The right rear portion of his head was missing. It was lying in the rear seat of the car. His brain was exposed. There was blood and bits of brain all over the entire rear portion of the car. Mrs. Kennedy was completely covered with blood. There was so much blood you could not tell if there had been any other wound or not, except for the one large gaping wound in the right rear portion of the head.

Bob Prudhomme Wrote:Carol Hewett makes reference to the shell casing found on the roof of the Dal-Tex Building, dubbing it the "Dal-Tex Specimen". She further describes it in this manner, "What was unique about this case was the crimped edges along the neck suggesting that either the shell had been handloaded or had been used in conjunction with a sabot."

I have handloaded many rifle cartridges, and was unaware of a special crimping used in handloading or for factory loaded or handloaded sabots. In fact, I have never crimped the neck of the cartridges I handloaded, and do not know anyone who ever has. Unless crimps are of the indented type, such as seen on the 6.5mm Carcano casing, they are difficult to see on a fired cartridge, as the brass stretches outwards ti fill the chamber under the pressure of hot gases.

Could it be that someone bit the bullet before firing it, and that casing ended up on the roof somehow?
Scott Kaiser Wrote:
Bob Prudhomme Wrote:Carol Hewett makes reference to the shell casing found on the roof of the Dal-Tex Building, dubbing it the "Dal-Tex Specimen". She further describes it in this manner, "What was unique about this case was the crimped edges along the neck suggesting that either the shell had been handloaded or had been used in conjunction with a sabot."

I have handloaded many rifle cartridges, and was unaware of a special crimping used in handloading or for factory loaded or handloaded sabots. In fact, I have never crimped the neck of the cartridges I handloaded, and do not know anyone who ever has. Unless crimps are of the indented type, such as seen on the 6.5mm Carcano casing, they are difficult to see on a fired cartridge, as the brass stretches outwards ti fill the chamber under the pressure of hot gases.

Could it be that someone bit the bullet before firing it, and that casing ended up on the roof somehow?

I fail to see the relevance of your remark.

Bob Prudhomme Wrote:
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:Yes, I agree with that one David. That one is amazingly quiet. Interesting that its based upon the Enfield.

BTW, when I first proposed this idea to Gary Mack back when the movie JFK came out, he immediately responded with words to the effect that, then you are talking about a handgun!

Can you believe that? In 1992, Gary Mack had never heard of the work of Mitch Werbell.

Who I am pretty sure diagrammed that chart on p. 15 that Carol calls Figure 4. Boy is that fascinating.

Gary Mack would have referred to the de Lisle Carbine as a handgun for the simple fact this weapon fired .45 ACP pistol ammunition at subsonic velocities (830 fps muzzle velocity) making it, essentially, a handgun with a long barrel and stock.

That wasn't the context of the conversation Bob. It was the use of silencers in general. And Gary jumped to the conclusion that it would have to be a handgun.

Which as Carol shows is not the case.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:
Bob Prudhomme Wrote:

That wasn't the context of the conversation Bob. It was the use of silencers in general. And Gary jumped to the conclusion that it would have to be a handgun.

At 830 fps muzzle velocity, it might as well be a handgun.

Long time, Bob! (WB) Do you have a drawing or picture of what a sabot-loaded round looks like inside the cartridge? What I think that article suggests is that the cartridge is somehow modified to use a smaller caliber bullet than designed, as a load. (I think the idea is that the shooter could thereby disguise the type of gun used.) You're the guy with the experience in this field. Would you explain to us why that can, or can't, be the case?
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
Drew Phipps Wrote:Long time, Bob! (WB) Do you have a drawing or picture of what a sabot-loaded round looks like inside the cartridge? What I think that article suggests is that the cartridge is somehow modified to use a smaller caliber bullet than designed, as a load. (I think the idea is that the shooter could thereby disguise the type of gun used.) You're the guy with the experience in this field. Would you explain to us why that can, or can't, be the case?

The question I always ask proponents of the sabot loaded cartridge theory is, what would be the purpose of loading a fired slug from a 6.5mm Carcano rifle into a cartridge made for a larger calibre rifle? The M91/38 short rifle (Oswald's alleged rifle) has a muzzle velocity of 2200 feet per second (fps) and, when combined with a 162 grain slug, the result is a weapon more than capable of killing people at the -100 yard range of all of the shots in Dealey Plaza. If the rifle that did the actual killing was a 6.5mm Carcano but, instead of being an M91/38 short rifle, it was an M91/41 long rifle, that muzzle velocity would increase to 2400 fps. In comparison, .308 calibre bullets regularly have muzzle velocities in the range of 2800 fps, and are considered more than adequate for shooting deer out to 200 yards and beyond.

Carol Hewett stated in her article that there was something about the spent cartridge found on the roof of the Dal-Tex Building that indicated it had been handloaded or loaded with a sabot. I would really like to know what it was about that cartridge that gave this impression.

[Image: Sabots%20Gray%20Tip.JPG]

[Image: sabotstep02.jpg]

[Image: fed10d3e57f94bd78e80f0349505501c.jpg]

Not quite sure how the slug remains centred in this shotgun shell. Also, it would be necessary for the shotgun owner to possess a second barrel for his shotgun that had rifling grooves on its interior, in order to impart spin to this slug to stabilize it.

Just imagine the fun the Bubbas would have, firing .50 calibre Browning machine gun tracer slugs from their duck hunting guns. Smile

Bob Prudhomme Wrote:
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:
Bob Prudhomme Wrote:

Bob, you are missing the point.

I never mentioned the Lisle Carbine in my discussion with Gary.

We were talking about silencers in general. Gary assumed you could only use a silencer with a handgun.

I knew you could use them with rifles since I had read about Werbell's work.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:
Bob Prudhomme Wrote:
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:
Bob Prudhomme Wrote:Gary Mack would have referred to the de Lisle Carbine as a handgun for the simple fact this weapon fired .45 ACP pistol ammunition at subsonic velocities (830 fps muzzle velocity) making it, essentially, a handgun with a long barrel and stock.

Bob, you are missing the point.

I never mentioned the Lisle Carbine in my discussion with Gary.

We were talking about silencers in general. Gary assumed you could only use a silencer with a handgun.

I knew you could use them with rifles since I had read about Werbell's work.

I understand what you are getting at, Jim. I just wanted to point out that, in order to truly silence a weapon, it is necessary to sacrifice the flat trajectory of a supersonic weapon, such as a rifle, and settle for the inaccuracy of a subsonic pistol round, such as was fired from the de Lisle carbine. If Werbell was producing 100% silenced weapons, he would have been facing the same problem.

IMHO, I believe silenced weapons were used in the assassination to make it impossible to accurately locate the source of some of the shots. The Altgens 6 photo below is, I believe, proof of the use of at least one suppressed rifle.

[Image: altgens.jpg]

Note that the attention of the four standing SS agents is drawn to the right side of the follow up car. I believe a bullet has just passed the heads of the agents on the right side of the car, travelling on its way from the mid-floors of the Dal-Tex Building on its way to JFK's back. If this shot were suppressed, there would be no sound made by the muzzle blast, but the bullet itself would be making a sharp crack as it broke the sound barrier. How audible would it be? Perhaps audible enough to make the SS agents look around, but not be noticed by the crowd on the sidewalk.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump Wounded By Lone Nut Sniper Brian Doyle 3 190 29-07-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  The "Sniper's Nest" Gil Jesus 0 402 30-05-2023, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Gil Jesus
  The Sniper's Nest Corner boxes in the 6th floor Museum are wrong David Josephs 28 16,635 15-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Does anyone know what happened to the other Kleins rifles? David Josephs 0 2,014 14-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: David Josephs
  Carcano Rifles Bob Prudhomme 13 8,872 18-06-2015, 03:58 AM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Request for Help to ID Rifles Bob Prudhomme 5 4,650 29-03-2014, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Bob Prudhomme
  Silencer on a sniper rifle Tracy Riddle 4 3,964 18-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  The sniper's view from the south knoll Anthony DeFiore 15 9,671 28-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  TSBD Rifles Albert Doyle 11 8,235 21-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Drago