Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warren Hinckle and the Glory that was Ramparts
Martin White Wrote:
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:But here is the question I was posing, perhaps a little too subtly:

Why would the online generation want to mimic the MSM?

Ramparts did not do that and they succeeded. That is why I tried to hold them up as model of what real journalism was and can be. I really don't understand it.

Here's a completely unjustified opinion. Today's culture is fame-driven, not ideology driven like it was in the 60s. The people writing online are hoping to get a "better" (read: richer, more famous) gig at CNBC or Fox or CNN or even the print media. In other words, the online journalism is just a means to an end rather than a heartfelt protest or an appeal to a fuller debate, like Ramparts. They are parroting the type of journalism that they see either because they know no better (as Jim said, lack of an alternative role model), or in fact they DO know better but know how to "play the game".

For the people writing for Ramparts, the object of the journalism was protest. For the people writing online in the way Jim describes, its about compiling a professional portfolio of fawning crap. The journalistic equivalent of celery - i.e. bland with no calorific content.

Look at someone like Geraldo Rivera. Did he switch out of actual physical fear, occupational pragmatism or some other reason? I highly doubt that it was simply a change of his opinion on the topic.

This is something that I never really thought of. Probably because coming from where I do, that is writings on CTKA about the assassinations of the sixties, I have never even contemplated leapfrogging to a job at CNN. But there is probably some truth to that since I have seen some of these people on the MSM.

But then why start a new online journalism school if you are simply going to follow the people who brought us down the yellow brick road in the first place? I mean in addition to those terrible scandals I listed in my Hinckle piece, I left out all the signals about the 2007-08 economic crash that almost threw us into 1929 again.

Not my idea of what real journalism is all about. Well, blogging was always a cheap substitute for investigative reporting anyway. THe worst part of it, is that it snookered tens of thousands of commenters into thinking they were actually a part of a revolution.

Hillary Clinton is not my idea of a revolution. She is part of the problem. Her foreign policy is pretty much the neocon brand.

Messages In This Thread
Warren Hinckle and the Glory that was Ramparts - by Jim DiEugenio - 10-09-2016, 07:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Witnesses who were never called before the Warren Commission Gil Jesus 2 2,017 02-04-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: Milo Reech
  The Mystery Of Allen Dulles' Appointment To The Warren Commission James Lewis 3 3,679 09-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Last Post: James Lewis
  The Warren Commission and Mexico City Jim DiEugenio 0 3,089 27-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Former Warren Commission counsel Sam Stern Scott Kaiser 2 3,475 02-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Gibson's Milestone Article on the Creation of the Warren Commission Jim DiEugenio 4 4,643 02-02-2017, 08:44 PM
  Warren Commission Executive Session of 22 Jan 1964 Alan Ford 38 21,870 24-01-2016, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Alan Ford
  Bill Simpich: How the Warren Commission Covered Up JFK's Murder Alan Dale 28 15,912 10-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  SLAWSON: Warren Commission part of a "massive cover-up" Jim Hargrove 15 6,761 04-02-2015, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Harry Dean
  The Most Important Error the FBI told the Warren Commission about the Rifle Bob Prudhomme 49 16,646 23-01-2015, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Bob Prudhomme
  The Warren Commission at 50:Worse Now than Ever Jim DiEugenio 14 5,877 07-01-2015, 05:37 PM