Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny line from walt brown book
I am just reading the book Treachery in Dallas by W Brown and i ran into a funny line ...mr brown is describing LBJ just after the shooting in dealey plaza and the sentence goes..."To return to love field, He (LBJ) had Mrs Johnson put in another car , either to protect her from assassins who might still be lurking, or as a decoy to draw them out.".........Now that is a FUnny line ..i cant stop laughing ...is mr brown saying that LBJ was a lousy husband ...i mean just because a man cheats doesnt mean he wants his wife assassinated does it ... Wink
Edwin Ortiz Wrote:I am just reading the book Treachery in Dallas by W Brown and i ran into a funny line ...mr brown is describing LBJ just after the shooting in dealey plaza and the sentence goes..."To return to love field, He (LBJ) had Mrs Johnson put in another car , either to protect her from assassins who might still be lurking, or as a decoy to draw them out.".........Now that is a FUnny line ..i cant stop laughing ...is mr brown saying that LBJ was a lousy husband ...i mean just because a man cheats doesnt mean he wants his wife assassinated does it ... Wink
I think there is a lot of evidence that Johnson was terrified that day that he would also be a target. IIRC, one source mentioned him being seen cowering in the lavatory of Airforce One, prior to the swearing in.
Gordon Gray Wrote:[quote=Edwin Ortiz]I am just reading the book Treachery in Dallas by W Brown and i ran into a funny line ...mr brown is describing LBJ just after the shooting in dealey plaza and the sentence goes..."To return to love field, He (LBJ) had Mrs Johnson put in another car , either to protect her from assassins who might still be lurking, or as a decoy to draw them out.".........Now that is a FUnny line ..i cant stop laughing ...is mr brown saying that LBJ was a lousy husband ...i mean just because a man cheats doesnt mean he wants his wife assassinated does it ... Wink

Quote:I think there is a lot of evidence that Johnson was terrified that day that he would also be a target. IIRC, one source mentioned him being seen cowering in the lavatory of Airforce One, prior to the swearing in.

Gordon, I think your appraisal is basically correct. Johnson understood the attack as being against the democratic administration, and as Vice-President he was part of the Kennedy administration. I think he was sobbing in the lavatory because he had tried to keep Kennedy from being sent to Dallas. Ambassador to the United Nations, Adlai Stevenson had been savagely attacked in Dallas just weeks before when delivering a speech there, and Johnson and his wife also had been hit and spit upon when walking through the lobby of the Adolphus Hotel by extremist right-wing zealots in 1960 during the presidential election campaigns.

Later, Johnson also asked J. Edgar Hoover if he had also been shot at. We know from an oral history statement by Cartha DeLoach, a high-level FBI agent, that Lyndon Johnson asked that FBI Agent Orrin Bartlett travel with him on Air Force 1as a bodyguard because he did not trust the Secret Service. Orrin Bartlett had been a Special Liaison Agent acting as liaison between the FBI, the Secret Service, and the White House before and after the John Kennedy assassination. He was the FBI agent who interviewed me, along with Secret Service Agent John W. Rice, in the Federal Building in New Orleans on Sunday, November 24, 1963 , and who called FBI Headquarters and the Baltimore Field Office, telling them to pick up Jose A. Rivera for interrogation. My four-hour interview by Dr. Jim Fetzer is on his web site: http://radiofetzer.blogspot.com. Scroll back to February 16, 2011 and click on my name, Adele Edisen, to listen.

Adele
thanks for replies though i have always wondered what was behind that famous wink by congressman albert thomas to LBJ seen in the photo on air force one ...i have read the mccllellan book but i just dont totally buy it ..

Adele Edisen Wrote:
Gordon Gray Wrote:[quote=Edwin Ortiz]I am just reading the book Treachery in Dallas by W Brown and i ran into a funny line ...mr brown is describing LBJ just after the shooting in dealey plaza and the sentence goes..."To return to love field, He (LBJ) had Mrs Johnson put in another car , either to protect her from assassins who might still be lurking, or as a decoy to draw them out.".........Now that is a FUnny line ..i cant stop laughing ...is mr brown saying that LBJ was a lousy husband ...i mean just because a man cheats doesnt mean he wants his wife assassinated does it ... Wink

Quote:I think there is a lot of evidence that Johnson was terrified that day that he would also be a target. IIRC, one source mentioned him being seen cowering in the lavatory of Airforce One, prior to the swearing in.

Gordon, I think your appraisal is basically correct. Johnson understood the attack as being against the democratic administration, and as Vice-President he was part of the Kennedy administration. I think he was sobbing in the lavatory because he had tried to keep Kennedy from being sent to Dallas. Ambassador to the United Nations, Adlai Stevenson had been savagely attacked in Dallas just weeks before when delivering a speech there, and Johnson and his wife also had been hit and spit upon when walking through the lobby of the Adolphus Hotel by extremist right-wing zealots in 1960 during the presidential election campaigns.

Later, Johnson also asked J. Edgar Hoover if he had also been shot at. We know from an oral history statement by Cartha DeLoach, a high-level FBI agent, that Lyndon Johnson asked that FBI Agent Orrin Bartlett travel with him on Air Force 1as a bodyguard because he did not trust the Secret Service. Orrin Bartlett had been a Special Liaison Agent acting as liaison between the FBI, the Secret Service, and the White House before and after the John Kennedy assassination. He was the FBI agent who interviewed me, along with Secret Service Agent John W. Rice, in the Federal Building in New Orleans on Sunday, November 24, 1963 , and who called FBI Headquarters and the Baltimore Field Office, telling them to pick up Jose A. Rivera for interrogation. My four-hour interview by Dr. Jim Fetzer is on his web site: http://radiofetzer.blogspot.com. Scroll back to February 16, 2011 and click on my name, Adele Edisen, to listen.

Adele
Edwin,

That famous wink by Congressman Albert Thomas was probably nothing more than a symbol of friendship and support at a time of grave crisis for a man who was about to face the horrendous task in calming and reassuring the American people and the rest of the world that law and order would be restored and the government would carry on with the prinicples of the Democratic Party and the promises made by the Kennedy administration. One reason for this Texas trip was to help Albert Thomas in his campaign, as well as to begin preparing for the 1964 campaigns. I don't think there was anything more sinister than the wink being a gesture of support for Johnson.

There are many people in the JFK assassination reseaerch community who believe that Lyndon Johnson was behind, of heavily involved in, the assassination of John Kennedy. He was a Democratic Party man, a genuine and loyal supporter of civil rights for minorities and also for women. In 1957 when a civil rights bill was being considered in the US Senate and he was the Majority Leader, the senators, mostly Democrats were bickering amongst themselves about what to put in the bill. Johnson was getting impatient with their indecision and anxious to bring it on the floor for a vote. He told them all, "Just give them vote." I interpret this as meaning to trust the minorities to use their voting power to erase the inequities under which they had to live in so many of our Southern states. That 1957 bill did not pass the Congress, nor did the 1960 version, and during the Kennedy presidency the Civil Rights Bill lagged in committee, creating more frustration for Johnson. As you may know, Johnson's efforts to pass that legislation into law were heroic in 1964. After that, he corrected the exemption of women for coverage by the Act in employment by colleges and universities under the anti-discrimination section of the 1964 Civil Rights Act by enacting an Executive Order ensuring that women and men of different religions, ethnicity, race, cultures of origin would not be denied the right to be employed, even in the higher centers of learnng in this country.

Lyndon Johnson had been selected by Joseph Kennedy, the father of John Kennedy, as a potential presidential candidate and he offered to fund his presidential camoaign, but only if he let John Kennedy run as hs Vice-President. This occurred during the 1956 campaign. Johnson had suffered a very bad heart attack in 1955, and I'm not sure how much of a role this played in his response to Joe Kennedy. Lyndon Johnson politely refused Joe Kennedy's offer, and this infuriated Bobby Kennedy who took it as an insult to the Kennedy family. This was, I think, the beginning of Bobby and Lyndon's differences.

A book, THE 31ST OF MARCH, by Horace Busby will give you a very close-up view of Lyndon Johnson. Busby was one of his speech writers and a confiidant of Johnson. The title refers to the date (3-31-68) of the speech given by Johnson when he announced he would not run for prsident in 1968. However, you will learn from reading this book that Johnson, a year before in 1967, had asked Busby to write such a speech that Johnson had thought of giving after his State of the Union Address in 1967. With the speech in his pocket, Johnson decided to not do so, and waited until two weeks after Bobby Kennedy finally announced on March 16, 1968, that he was running for president after a year of indecision.. I had the feeling that Johnson, despite their differeces, wanted to be sure that Bobby was in the race, there being only one other democrat, Gene McCarthy, a rather floaty sort of politician. The torch lit by John Kennedy was being given to his brother.

Adele

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DiEugenio Reviews Kamp's Book But Doesn't Mention Prayer Man Brian Doyle 0 340 06-10-2023, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Bart Kamp's 'Prayer Man More Than A Fuzzy Picture' Book Brian Doyle 1 318 27-09-2023, 03:30 PM
  Selverstone's Book Jim DiEugenio 3 801 13-04-2023, 05:10 PM
  new book by Albarelli Ed Jewett 7 9,115 11-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  The Book Depository as a Potemkin Village Richard Gilbride 1 2,476 22-11-2020, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Richard Gilbride
  The CIA and the Book Depository Jim DiEugenio 0 2,290 21-04-2020, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Weisberg's trash-the-critics book 'Inside the Assassination Industry' Richard Booth 7 4,782 28-09-2019, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Richard Booth
  JUDYTH VARY BAKER - IN HER OWN WORDS: Edited, With Commentary by Walt Brown, Ph.D Anthony Thorne 41 14,578 12-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Nat'l Security Archive Brief Book Richard Coleman 0 1,958 20-03-2019, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Richard Coleman
  Has anyone read the book He Was Expendable Phil Dagosto 0 3,073 17-10-2018, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Phil Dagosto